Need Help/Feedback On Street 347 Combo

• Sponsors (?)

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone! And someday I'll be able to get all of the right stuff, unfortunately that day isn't today or in the near future, so I've decided to not skimp on the wrong or cheap parts and go another direction for the time being.
I have however swapped the broken car for a mechanically good car that needs some body and interior maint. Looks like I'll put what I have left in my budget into that and shadow it out over the next several months. I'll post the build process once completed.

Save for the cam (I have a Comp roller) this is almost a copy of my setup in my 91. I'm running a FS short block, about 10:1, TFS 170's (unported), a TFS "R" intake, and shorties. I don't have any dyno numbers, but it pulls harder then my Cobra (which makes about 300-310rwhp). I know I could have more out of it if I had LT's and ported the heads, but I didn't have the $$ for the porting, and I didn't want to deal with LT's on the car since I drive it a lot.

Corrected for accuracy, my Cobra makes 350-360 at the flywheel.

I have the TFS TW 170's on my 347 and at 1st they were just a cheap option till I could get better heads, but they seem to be working out well for my current combo. My ET's arent that good but the car traps nearly 120 mph in the 1/4, but only 90-91 in the 1/8 because I cant begin to get it to hook up on DR's. Once I get the 1/8 to where it should be it should be mid 120's in the 1/4.

A guy on the corral has a 347, TW 170 heads, TFS 3 cam, Victor 5.0 intake, 90mm TB, 1 3/4 LTs with 3 inch exhaust. Best so far is a 10.67 at 127 with a 1.43 at 3100 lbs. For as cheap as a set of 170's can be bought, along with your modest goals sounds like a good choice.

I have the TFS TW 170's on my 347 and at 1st they were just a cheap option till I could get better heads, but they seem to be working out well for my current combo. My ET's arent that good but the car traps nearly 120 mph in the 1/4, but only 90-91 in the 1/8 because I cant begin to get it to hook up on DR's. Once I get the 1/8 to where it should be it should be mid 120's in the 1/4.

A guy on the corral has a 347, TW 170 heads, TFS 3 cam, Victor 5.0 intake, 90mm TB, 1 3/4 LTs with 3 inch exhaust. Best so far is a 10.67 at 127 with a 1.43 at 3100 lbs. For as cheap as a set of 170's can be bought, along with your modest goals sounds like a good choice.

The rest of that combo is what makes it run so hard. Those are some nice parts.

Not a bad combo we put together huh Bob, at 9:1 comp that thing really does make great power.

You bet Rick, last year at this time I was trying to figure out how to buy a set of TW 205's. Now I see these heads will meet my goals for the car NA. Im considering running some PAC springs to for a little more stability above 6500. Heck Im still running the stock pulleys and clutch fan.

I'm a little partial....But i wouldn't spend all those big $$$ on intakes and heads to build up a 347. At that point it would just seem more logical to build a 351-408. Stronger factory blocks and plenty of room to grow. Machine shop labor is no different on a 351 or 302 block. 347 kits and 408 kits are in the same price range too.

I'm a little partial....But i wouldn't spend all those big $$$ on intakes and heads to build up a 347. At that point it would just seem more logical to build a 351-408. Stronger factory blocks and plenty of room to grow. Machine shop labor is no different on a 351 or 302 block. 347 kits and 408 kits are in the same price range too.

Depends on how many performance parts you already own for a 8.2 deck weather there is a break even point or not. You can spend a lot of coin in swap parts if you already own nice 8.2 stuff. If you have to buy it all from the beginning then the 9.5 makes better sense.