Need Help/Feedback On Street 347 Combo

adcausey

Mar 19, 2011
Looking to freshen up the ole mill over the winter and want to run my intentions by you gear heads with tons of experience.

Its a coupe car and my full intention is to only drive on the street. It will never see a drag strip, I will not be concerned with getting a few extra horsepower or dropping my et in the 1/4. It will not be an everyday driver, something on the order of 2,000-3,000 miles a year tops. With that said heres the current plan,

347 Stroker - from DSS, Fordstrokers or CHP
(maybe short block, or maybe long block if I don't run across some heads)
Trick Flow 170's or AFR 165's
Trick Flow Track Heat Intake
Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam (have this with less than 500mi in current motor)
75mm Throttle Body
80mm MAF
30lb Injectors
255 lph fuel pump

You may ask why 347 and not just freshen up the 302 to 306, and the honest answer is because I just want more power easier with the extra displacement. Ive went conservative on the H/I/C side due to wanting streetability and also not really wanting to spend the extra cheddar for bigger heads and other intakes.

Would like for you guys to let me know if you think I am wasting my time and money on the current plan I have given what I expect to get out. If you think I am going to choke this motor out and would get the exact same performance from a 302 please let me know. I suppose another easier option would be for me to get a FRPP GT40 Crate. Anyways, I think you guys see where I am going. Looking forward to hearing some good feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

Something to think about is a DSS motor although beefed up a little if you opt for a main girdle, forged pistons and forged rods, it still is a stock 302 block. WHich is completely fine if you plan on not getting crazy. I have a DSS 331 with all the goodies and I love it and its been great to me for 3 years so far, but im making 510 rwhp and I want more, Im not gonna risk it on stock based block though. To be honest I think you have some good plans, some nice off the shelf parts, nothing to crazy and it sounds like you'll get exactly what you want out of it! DSS also to me had a great customer service team and to me that means a lot!

If you're set on that combo, I think you'll be disappointed. Remember, 302 parts make 302 power. Just save the money and go with a refreshed 302 and those parts, or get the 347 and go with a bigger setup to really take advantage of those extra cubes.

If you're set on that combo, I think you'll be disappointed. Remember, 302 parts make 302 power. Just save the money and go with a refreshed 302 and those parts, or get the 347 and go with a bigger setup to really take advantage of those extra cubes.

Very true, I made that mistake when I was getting into the mustang game. I had/have a 347 stroker, e-cam, cobra intake 170 tw heads it only made 326rwhp when plenty of fox's out there are making a lot more but you end up paying almost twice for doing it right the 2nd time.

Great feedback guys....really appreciate it.

So for a second lets assume I modify the intake to the Trick Flow R series, and the heads to AFR185's, Patriot 185's, or Trick Flow 190's fast as cast and step the cam up to something more designed for the application? Does this make more sense or am I still far off from getting 347 type performance from a 347? Still keep in mind i'll be on the streets....stop lights, traffic, riding behind school buses to work and all that good stuff.

Seems to me the step up would be less than $500 overall, and I can sell the TFS cam I have now to recoupe a little.

Yes, you'd be pretty close to optimal with that combination as long as it's a street car. TFS FAC 190s would be a great fit, as would the AFR 185 Comps. I like the R intake if you're going to spin the hell out of it. Then again, I'd also recommend going even bigger on the heads if you're going to spin it like that.

I see you talking about basically a great street car that makes plenty of low end torque and pretty good top-end power. So, if I were building that combo, I'd personally look at the Systemax II intake, the TFS 190 FACs, and a custom cam to go along with them.

Expect to push high 300s at the wheels. With an aggressive cam, a high compression ratio, and a good tune, you might see over 400rwhp.

Chris

The R intake is not a high revving intake, it makes great mid range power and torque and will work great for a street 347.

If i was in your shoes i would be looking into TW CNC 205's, with a custom cam and the R intake. It will be a blast on the street and dont buy into the crap about those parts are too radical. Its all in the camshaft and getting the tune right. I could daily drive my car with that same top end setup over .600 lift at the lifter. The car will lug all the way down to 1300 rpms and idles pretty decent.

Here is my dyno sheet, plenty of midrange power and tq, and out of steam just over 6k rpms. The headers on my car were also a restriction on higher RPM power. This is with the box R, i saw no difference with the box vs the standard R.

I was also told by Dan Rawls, that my intake manifold and headers were what was going to limit power on this motor. He said the lower on the R intake is what restricts it from making power in the higher RPM's. The limit for that manifold is around 7200rpm according to him. This is NA, not power adder stuff. He said if i switched to a Super victor carb style EFI intake, i would see more power and be able to spin the motor higher.

I dont have back to back comparisons, and i havent seen any. I'll take Rawls word for it and every serious high RPM naturally aspirated street small block i see has a spider style intake on it. Take a look at hotfox's car, that thing made stupid power on the dyno with a carb and a super victor i believe.

If you plan on making peak power around 6500 rpm the R intake is a good choice, but anything after that RPM wise, and its not ideal. Im speaking from what i know and have personally tried with my own car.

Here is my dyno sheet, plenty of midrange power and tq, and out of steam just over 6k rpms. The headers on my car were also a restriction on higher RPM power. This is with the box R, i saw no difference with the box vs the standard R.

I was also told by Dan Rawls, that my intake manifold and headers were what was going to limit power on this motor. He said the lower on the R intake is what restricts it from making power in the higher RPM's. The limit for that manifold is around 7200rpm according to him. This is NA, not power adder stuff. He said if i switched to a Super victor carb style EFI intake, i would see more power and be able to spin the motor higher.

I dont have back to back comparisons, and i havent seen any. I'll take Rawls word for it and every serious high RPM naturally aspirated street small block i see has a spider style intake on it. Take a look at hotfox's car, that thing made stupid power on the dyno with a carb and a super victor i believe.

If you plan on making peak power around 6500 rpm the R intake is a good choice, but anything after that RPM wise, and its not ideal. Im speaking from what i know and have personally tried with my own car.

what did this setup consist of ? good numbers !

I think it has more power in it, and the MPH and weight of the car do not agree with the dyno numbers.

345" R-block based motor
TW 205 CNC heads
Dan Rawls custom cam
Box R intake
42# injectors
4.060 arias pistons
5.625 carillo rods
3.33 Bryant crank
11.2:1 estimated compression
bassaini 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 headers to 3" exhaust
90mm throttle body
4.30 gears
Faceplated TKO

This year i have run a best of 11.12 at 123 in 85* humid weather. Driven 60 miles to the track. With the old comp 282 cam on a much better track it did a best of 11.03 at 124mph in 40* weather with no humidity. With the old cam in similar weather the car would go 11.40s to 11.50s at 166-118mph. The custom cam really helped IMO. The headers i think were choking the engine bigtime, and i just installed Accufab 1 7/8" headers and had my new X pipe welded last night, it should make over 400 at the tire and make power at least 500rpms higher.

Everyone told me 3 years ago the heads, intake and throttle body were going to KILL low end response on the street and it was going to be a dog till 5000rpm, this was so far from the truth, this car at 380 to the tires is faster and more fun around town than when i was making 480 to the tire with the 302/novi2000 setup. Back then the CNC'd 205s were just coming out and everybody was scared to run a big intake port on a 8.2 deck NA motor.

I think it has more power in it, and the MPH and weight of the car do not agree with the dyno numbers.

345" R-block based motor
TW 205 CNC heads
Dan Rawls custom cam
Box R intake
42# injectors
4.060 arias pistons
5.625 carillo rods
3.33 Bryant crank
11.2:1 estimated compression
bassaini 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 headers to 3" exhaust
90mm throttle body
4.30 gears
Faceplated TKO

This year i have run a best of 11.12 at 123 in 85* humid weather. Driven 60 miles to the track. With the old comp 282 cam on a much better track it did a best of 11.03 at 124mph in 40* weather with no humidity. With the old cam in similar weather the car would go 11.40s to 11.50s at 166-118mph. The custom cam really helped IMO. The headers i think were choking the engine bigtime, and i just installed Accufab 1 7/8" headers and had my new X pipe welded last night, it should make over 400 at the tire and make power at least 500rpms higher.

Everyone told me 3 years ago the heads, intake and throttle body were going to KILL low end response on the street and it was going to be a dog till 5000rpm, this was so far from the truth, this car at 380 to the tires is faster and more fun around town than when i was making 480 to the tire with the 302/novi2000 setup. Back then the CNC'd 205s were just coming out and everybody was scared to run a big intake port on a 8.2 deck NA motor.

Thats awesome dude, sounds like a sweet setup I bet it sounds mean. Do you have any vids of it at the track ? Are you running slicks and skinnies at the track?

Not really any good video of the car in the last few years, and yes, i have skinnies and slicks on the car. I usually run drag radials on the street but the last time i went to the track i put 20psi in the 28x10.5's and drove to the track sitting like that

Reactions: 1 user
I like the R intake if you're going to spin the hell out of it.

, I'd personally look at the Systemax II intake

the difference in port length between the R and the systemax is only 2". and the cross sections are pretty similar. they both are high revving intakes on a 302, but on a 3.40" 347 less so because they will reach a given piston speed at an earlier rpm.

I pretty much bought the same crate 347 stroker you're thinking of buying. It made lots of torque. I didn't use anything off my 302 and suggest you don't either. I sold my Crower cam, Edelbrock RPM Intake, 24lb injectors, 1-5/8" Long Tubes, 2.5 Prochamber, etc. It help fund the correct parts for the 347.

347 ci from Probe (CHP)
AFR 185's
Holley Systemax Intake
Crane Custom Cam
30lb Injectors
70MM Throttle Body
Pro-M 80MM Mass Air
MAC 1-3/4" Ceramic Long Tubes w/ 3" Collector
MAC 3" Prochamber
MAC 3" Cat Back

CHP.jpg

Motor12-29-05.jpg

Attachments

• CHP.jpg
    CHP.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 639
  • Motor12-29-05.jpg
    Motor12-29-05.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 285
A lot of people are scared of big parts, I know at times when Im working on a build and make some recommendations I hear the "silience or doubt" on the other end. Truly if the combo is right low end TQ is generally not an issue, and you can carry it and make big HP up top.

90- Whats the compression ratio?

I like the combos suggested so far personally, Id put as much compression in it as possible as well, 11:1 is streetable on pump gas with the right cam. The Victor 5.0 intake could also be used....

Reactions: 1 user
347 Stroker - from DSS, Fordstrokers or CHP
(maybe short block, or maybe long block if I don't run across some heads)
Trick Flow 170's or AFR 165's
Trick Flow Track Heat Intake
Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam (have this with less than 500mi in current motor)
75mm Throttle Body
80mm MAF
30lb Injectors
255 lph fuel pump

Save for the cam (I have a Comp roller) this is almost a copy of my setup in my 91. I'm running a FS short block, about 10:1, TFS 170's (unported), a TFS "R" intake, and shorties. I don't have any dyno numbers, but it pulls harder then my Cobra (which makes about 350-360rwhp). I know I could have more out of it if I had LT's and ported the heads, but I didn't have the $$ for the porting, and I didn't want to deal with LT's on the car since I drive it a lot.