Need help finalizing 68 Fastback suspension setup

seaya67

Jan 6, 2007
I have seen and heard so many conflicting stories on the Mustang II setup, transmission and rear suspension options.

A little about the car:

The car needs new front frame rails from a wreck it had prior to purchase (20 years ago) and poor repair job by myself and my Dad. (It worked for a 15 year old). Essentially the shock towers & apron assemblies need replaced, along with the firewall and floor pans. The rear of the car is in okay shape and will get some typical metal repairs (rear quarter skins).

I want the car to drive like my 98 Cobra did or better and plan to put 450 to 500 hp under the hood.

Question 1: Is the Heidts system the best Mustang II option out there? I have heard Rod & Custom has a nice setup, however the shop I am current at is a Heidts dealer so I will not get the straight story from them. I want to keep the expense reasonable, but willing to pay for performance within the limit of what is intended for the car.

Question 2: What is the best rear suspension set up to put behind the car with the Mustang II for the performace I am looking for. I have seen folks that like the RRS Watts link, however feel the extra $1,500 might not be worth the value over the Heidts 4 link. I already have a 8.8 out of a '97 explorer to install, so the IRS is out in my opinion and didn't feel I wanted to take on that work and expense.

Question 3: Because of the HP, I am installing a tremec. Will the front suspension setup create any problems with the fit of the tranning and does any have experience with a Mustang II and Tremec setup that worked well for them.

I have seen some of the bracing work everyone has done with the mustang II front ends and plan to do some of the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Why MII ? Just curious. there are options out not where you can get more room for headers than with a MII, if that's a reason.
We just installed a 4-link on a 66, and it took a little fitting. It's a pain with a 8in.I would recomend either making, or seeing if you can upgrade to hiem joints if you go that route. I just see binding problems with the style bushing they use. Not sure on the tracion advantage it can offer and this guy isn't huge into power.

Not really concerned with the header room, just a side benefit.

The primary reason I am leaning towards the MII is price vs. value (perceived value). I will have to repair the shock towers and frame rails from the shock tower forward. All the aprons and firewall will also need to be replaced.

I like the Global West set-up if I was keeping the shock towers, but would have $1500 more in the front end.

Still not 100% decided.

Thanks for the reply.

Since you have to replace the frame rails, shock towers, inner fender aprons, etc., why don't you just check out the Martz chassis setup. It comes with super strong frame rails, their own suspension, steering, etc. They also have inner fenders, rad support and everything else you need available. Lots of money but you end up with a great handling and performing setup. www.martzchassis.net.
David

How much money you looking to spend? Seriously, after already doing everything you are about to do, I would really consider Art Morrison. Seems a little expensive at first, but once you add up everything you've considered installing, you will be probably within 2K of the max g setup. Looking back, this is the route I would have went. Ride height, front tire width, rear mini tubbing, proven performance, and a solid platform are enough for me to go with them. If the car front rails were good along with the floor, I would probably go with global west for the front and install a 3 or 4link in the rear. But since you are going to be doing alot of cutting, I would just put your shell on a complete frame.
Looking back, my cars suspension, floor, mini tub would have been completed by now had I went with AM. Probably the biggest perk to me with running his setup is that I could run a little wider tire like a 275 that would match the rear 335's a little better. Just my opinion, and I am far from a pro.