Need help finding technical information on a 01 GT ECU

fellamansteve

May 24, 2004
Seattle
I posted earlier trying to figure out what to do next with my 01 GT. I ended up getting a K & N Filtercharger because I could run out to my local auto parts store and install it in 5 minutes. I'm thinking next I'll get an Accufab 75mm TB with Accufab plenum.

However, I'm still thinking about the 4.10 gears. I think I could install the gears myself, but I really don't want to pay to have someone recalibrate. I don't really want to buy a Steeda recalibration box for $110 or buy a new ECU. I want to try to build my own recalibration box (<$50 for materials + a lot of time). I need to know for sure what ECU is in a stock 2001 GT (I think it's the EEC-IV, but I want to be sure) and then I need a technical document on the ECU with a pin diagram and an outline of the specifications for receiving data (i.e., format, sampling rate, parameters, etc.) so I can find a good microcontroller for the job and program it well. Anyone have this information laying around by any chance? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think, unless you REALLY know what your doing, you will be asking for trouble on both the gears install and the speedo correction.
Gear install is about $200 and worth every penny unless you've done this yourself many times. It is NOT a simple swap. Doing it wrong will chew up your new gears or worse.
I'd think about getting a SCT hand held tuner to correct the speedo and gain a bit of performance that will benefit you today and down the road.
Ck out SCT at www.modulardepot.com

With rear end gear changes 2/3 of the cost is parts and 1/3 is the cost of labor at a professional shop. A pro shop has all the right tools and the skills to do the job quickly and efficiently. In my opinion, its just not worth the hassle of changing gears yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself, be sure to read up on how to do it correctly. You don't wanna screw up a brand new gear set and then face the same parts cost a second time.

I'm not worried about making the calibration box at all if I can find the information I need...just takes a little computer engineering work and that's what I do. Sounds like the installation can be a pain if you haven't done it before. I'm probably more mechanically knowledgable than the average human being but not as knowledgeable as most of you and I haven't done it before. I do have a neighbor who works on cars all day long, I might ask him to see if he's swapped ring and pinions before. Otherwise, my Ford service center is quoting me $450 for install and calibration (not including the cost of the gears)...there's no way I'll be paying that. There's a couple other places I could check around town but it doesn't look good.