Need Help from You Stoker Gurus!!!!!!


New Member
Dec 15, 2002
Ok i have a 351W block, with a 400 crank turned down so a 351W rod and mains will fit with a ten thousands undersized bearing, and i'm using the stock 5.956 in rod, so my question is what piston do i need to retain a compression ratio of 9.0:1. cubic inches equal out to be 407.9 but what is the difference between using the stock length rod and the 6.2 in . other than effecting compression :shrug: :shrug: :bang: :bang: :shrug: :shrug:
  • Sponsors (?)

You may not want to hear this, but buy a stroker kit. It will be more reliable than a ground down 400 crank.

I can tell you that if you use a longer rod, you need a shorter piston. Not for compression. The fact that the piston will collide with the head is your main issue. It gets to the point where you cannot compensate for rod length with shorter piston height because there is no material left in the piston.

You can adjust compression by using a dome, flat or dished (reverse dome) piston.

If you are sold on the 400 crank and you are going to use it anyway, call CHP, DSS or SRP pistons and tell them exactly what you have. They may be able to get you what you need. You are going to need a big dish to keep the compression that low with a stroker.
Thanks for the advice but the fact of the matter is that i actually have no money into this stoker yet the block and rods where free, and the crank was also free, i didn't even pay for the grinding, i plan on putting this engine together with stock heads cam etc. and running for a while until i think its reliable then tearing it back down boring it putting different heads/ pistons, cam and intake
I understand. A stroker kit for a tiny bit or work and a set of pistons is not bad. My advice to you is to keep it under 6k. You can port those heads and intake for just the cost of the grinding wheels.