Need help picking cylinder heads, can't find MM&FF comparison I searched

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
Hey guys, so this is a street car, probably head to the track once in a while (a couple times a year at most). I'm looking to build the suspension so it will handle well while still being comfortable on the street. All that being said I'd like to be able to get mid 12s with the engine.... I spoke with tmoss about getting gt40ps ported but after tracking them down buying them then sending them to ported it seems like it'd be cheaper to get a set of edelbrock cylinder heads.

If I had the gt40's i'd get em ported in a heart beat, but it looks like edlebrock heads are around 600.00 and they're aluminum so i'd be lighter... what do you guys think?

Right now I've got a mainly stock lx 5.0 ( I'll be putting the gt ground effects on though so that's some extra weight)

I have an AOD but I'm swapping to t-5 in the summer.
Engine is bone stock with timing advanced to 14*
X pipe with cats,
mac flowpath mufflers
brothers shorty headers
3.73 gears
subframe connectors

I have an edelbrock performer intake
255lph walboro pump
24# injectors all sitting in my room also waiting to go on.
I'll probably get the MM suspension kit (not the coil over one)
So I'm just looking at cylinder heads to tie everything together
I was planning on going with the crane 2030 cam because I had it on my last car and loved it.

Any input is welcome, thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks 57, I found one of the cylinder head comparisons mm&FF did on a 306 and the edelbrock performer heads were second right below the AFRs....although the trick flow heads weren't in there... and I know they are good, but the performers are cheaper and that'll make enough power for me. What about combustion chamber size? Down the road I might want to add a small shot of nos or a small supercharger.

You need to take magazine articles with a grain of salt. Not that the AFR's won't outperform the Edelbrocks Performer but remember that magazines make their money off advertisers so you need to look closely at the comparison.

For what you are wanting to do and considering bang for the buck the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads will work well. Any head of that size will need to be replaced when you want to make more power N/A. If you think you'll be building a bigger motor down the road you may be better off with a larger head but that means you'll have to come up with around 1400 and cam selection is pretty critical. Also keeping in mind the future, if you plan on building a motor to rev, you'll have to replace your rockers as well since the RPM, AFR165 or TW170's use 3/8th studs. Alternatively you can change the studs but then you are starting to loose ground on the cost difference.

Considering the fact you'll have almost 1200 in a set of Edlebrock RPM heads spending 1400 is not really a stretch.

I think you should go with the twisted wedges. I'm more of an AFR guy, but the TWs will work well with your existing combo. You should flycut your pistons for them, but can get away without flycutting with some cams. You'll never outgrow the TWs with a 302-based windsor, and TFS CNC ports those heads all the way out to at least 205cc, which is enough to support any stroker 302.

In my opinion you should decide now whether you'll go nitrous or supercharger down the road. Nitrous is fine with high compression, but without higher octane rated fuel boost is not. Therefore, the choice in combustion chamber size will depend on what you eventually want to do with the motor.

Tom Moss is extremely well-versed with mustang cylinder heads and intakes. He likes to do more with less, and loves porting. Personally, I'd rather go with aluminum cylinder heads that have plenty of potential for future expansion rather than maxed out iron heads that you'll have to swap from if you decide to do something else in the future.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris

Hey guys, so this is a street car, probably head to the track once in a while (a couple times a year at most). I'm looking to build the suspension so it will handle well while still being comfortable on the street. All that being said I'd like to be able to get mid 12s with the engine.... I spoke with tmoss about getting gt40ps ported but after tracking them down buying them then sending them to ported it seems like it'd be cheaper to get a set of edelbrock cylinder heads.

If I had the gt40's i'd get em ported in a heart beat, but it looks like edlebrock heads are around 600.00 and they're aluminum so i'd be lighter... what do you guys think?

Right now I've got a mainly stock lx 5.0 ( I'll be putting the gt ground effects on though so that's some extra weight)

I have an AOD but I'm swapping to t-5 in the summer.
Engine is bone stock with timing advanced to 14*
X pipe with cats,
mac flowpath mufflers
brothers shorty headers
3.73 gears
subframe connectors

I have an edelbrock performer intake
255lph walboro pump
24# injectors all sitting in my room also waiting to go on.
I'll probably get the MM suspension kit (not the coil over one)
So I'm just looking at cylinder heads to tie everything together
I was planning on going with the crane 2030 cam because I had it on my last car and loved it.

Any input is welcome, thanks guys

I would go with Twisted Wedge heads as well. You can get different cobustion chamber sizes, have them cnc'd from the factory, big valves, aluminum etc... If you want to buy nice heads once (which most people do) buy trick flows! The other guywas right though, you might want to decide on nitrous or forced induction right now. I'm going through the same thing with a 357, which heads? Also be open to different cams. I liked my b303 on my 306 with a vortech, but the same b303 is killing my 357 right now. SO be open to different cams. The old saying "its not the parts in the motor...its the combo" is really true! good luck

Well I have a real world comparison for you, last summer I removed my TW heads (that just had$600+ put into) and put on some afr 185`s.
The car ran [email protected] with the TW heads and [email protected] with the afr 185`s.
I switched heads because the afr`s are 7/16 studs and the TW heads are pedistal mount and with the .550+ lift I felt safer with the bigger studs of the afr heads, plus a more lift cam change was in the works for this winter (.600 lift).

The TW heads with upgraded track heat springs are for sale with the roller rockers and ARP head bolts if interested. Could save a few bucks

Match the heads to the rest of the package: 2030+Performer intake? = Edelbrocks (1.9", not 2.02"). Zero installation issues, good price, good quality, and built here at home. My second choice would be 165s, right after I win the lottery.

The articles you're looking for are here.

Do you have emissions testing there? Could affect your plans?

I prefer the wedges, as for if you go with a stroker in the future, there are plenty of Cnc programs out there.

If you can get edelbrocks for 600, that's a great deal, just keep in mind there were some issues with the older sets.
So, they need to goto the machine shop for checking, In nj that's a 200 dollar minimum.

Also don't look past gt40x, the fastest stock shortblock NA car i've ever known in person, wore those. 11.86@116mph.

I prefer the wedges, as for if you go with a stroker in the future, there are plenty of Cnc programs out there.

If you can get edelbrocks for 600, that's a great deal, just keep in mind there were some issues with the older sets.
So, they need to goto the machine shop for checking, In nj that's a 200 dollar minimum.

Also don't look past gt40x, the fastest stock shortblock NA car i've ever known in person, wore those. 11.86@116mph.

That's pretty stout for X-heads. How much did it weigh, and what were the rest of the specs (intake, cam)? Would this person happen to be a member here?

Chris

Guy i know from local shop, he's been through tons of mustangs and tons of combos.
He is a member on the corral i know, not sure how much posting he does.
This is his latest car '86-'93 Mustang Cylinder Heads - 347 Engine Head Swap - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

The gt40x car was full weight, E cam, gt40 tubular intake.
The heads were valve jobbed.
he's also very very hard on cars and transmissions, but he can drive and has no fear of breaking the car.

how much better are the X heads than the gt40p's?
They are alot better.
I've also seen them for good prices such as $899 a set new from time to time on ebay.
Like any other head, they are not flawless from the factory, it's suggested they get a valve job and bowl cleanup before use.
With a g40 intake, x heads (valve jobbed) and an e cam, 300rwhp is very possible.
And if i remember correctly, the above user i mentioned made 316rwhp.
Some days i wish i built my engine with all ford parts.