need HELP quick // alternator/solenoid/ground?

ppartain

Jan 7, 2009
ive installed a vortech supercharger, fuel pump, wideband, boost gauge, moates quarterhorse, electric fan. When i put my hot wire back on the battery which is in the trunk, i smoked some wires/fuses comming off the solenoid. I have the 130A 3g pa performance alternator. i swear the 2 black wires with orange stripes go to the back of the altenator and the heavy upgrade wire goes there as well. Cant find my instructions or see them online. I checked for open wires and found my 200 amp fuse was blown as well as my fusable link wire on the solenoid side of the black/orange wires. It makes no sense. I unhooked the 2 wire clips, the 2 black/orange wires, and the big upgrade wire off the altenator (no wires on it now) then pulled the fusable link wire off the hot side of the solenoid, hooked the battery back up and all is well? Car cranks and runs lights, electric fan, ect this is with the alternator out of the picture. I wouldnt think its a solenoid grounding? It spins the starter no problem. I was trying to eliminate all possibilities before pulling the altenator. Before i wired my alternator i hooked up power with no problems tested my fuel pump, new injectors (bumped fuel pump), and turned on my parking lights and tested the gauges. I wired the alternator and fan control box and have the going to ground problem. As it stands the car cranks, lights work, gauges work, electric fan works off manual switch, all without the altenator in the picture. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your black/orange or upgrade wires are grounding somewhere. When attached to the alternator, the terminals may have been touching the case... I know it's pretty close. You might be able to see some arcing marks if you look at em closely.

With the wires disconnected and battery disconnected, put an ohmmeter on the wires one at a time and measure to ground. Just to make sure none of them are shorted somewhere else.

And I'd probably not reuse the stock charge wires. Use one cable and circuit protection of sufficient rating for the alternator.

yea took my alternator and had it tested to rule it out, it was good. Now as for the stock charge wires the 3 littlw wires that clip into the back of the alternator do i need the black/orange wires hooked to the solenoid for the small wires to work or just leave them unhooked at the solenoid and alernator and just fasten the clips back up and hook up my big power wire?

yea took my alternator and had it tested to rule it out, it was good. Now as for the stock charge wires the 3 littlw wires that clip into the back of the alternator do i need the black/orange wires hooked to the solenoid for the small wires to work or just leave them unhooked at the solenoid and alernator and just fasten the clips back up and hook up my big power wire?

Leave them connected at the solenoid, or if wanting to remove the stock charge wires, remove the sense portion of the wiring and connect it directly to the solenoid.

EVTM_p012a.jpg

Attachments

• EVTM_p012a.jpg
    EVTM_p012a.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 119
thanks for everybody's help. i left everything hooked up except i taped up both black/orange wires at the alternator and left them unhooked and everything is back to normal but i still dont understand what went wrong because it was hooked up like that for the last 2 years. very god info and awesome write ups by the way. :hail2: