Need Help Theft light stays illuminated 02 mustang

Shadow Ghost

Oct 10, 2019
Berea, KY.
How to reset or disable it... I have removed the battery cable, then re-attached it, light goes out, as soon as I drive the car and park it and turn it off, the light comes back on and will not go off... No kind of starting or dieing issues of any kind.... any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated... I hooked up a code reader to it, but it did not give me an option to reset or disable, and it never listed any code of any thing being wrong... So no codes at all...don't know if it makes a difference or not but when I bought it this summer it had an aftermarket radio (Pioneer) installed in it... I have replaced the car battery and both key fob batteries...

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering. Has PATS been disabled via modified PCM tune? It sure sounds like it has. Because if PATS is disabled via PCM tune, the car will start even though PATS has not "proved out". As far as the cluster is concerned, PATS has failed. Hence the reason for the theft light being on.

If looking for options. One I can think of is to fix PATS by re-programming two new keys. Here's some information that may help.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

With an advanced ODB2 scanner it's possible to "talk" to the cluster and learn things from the cluster's point of view.

If you truly don't care about PATS, then remove the bulb from the back side of the cluster. It's easy to do.

Just wondering. Has PATS been disabled via modified PCM tune? It sure sounds like it has. Because if PATS is disabled via PCM tune, the car will start even though PATS has not "proved out". As far as the cluster is concerned, PATS has failed. Hence the reason for the theft light being on.

If looking for options. One I can think of is to fix PATS by re-programming two new keys. Here's some information that may help.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

With an advanced ODB2 scanner it's possible to "talk" to the cluster and learn things from the cluster's point of view.

If you truly don't care about PATS, then remove the bulb from the back side of the cluster. It's easy to do.

thank you I will go the scanner route first, then the keys, and if all else fails pull the bulb,,,