need help with brake light wiring

Wicked65

Aug 10, 2003
NORCAL
In a attempt to reduce the amount of wires under the dash that were going to nothing, i seem to have cut off the wire going to my brake pedal sensor.
( before you get crazy, i had half a garbage can of wires from old stereo's alarm systems, amps,graphic equalizers, ect that was either under the carpet or the dash. it was bad.)Now, since my turn signal switch, on the collum, is also not happy i would like to by pass everything.

So, if i run a 12v hot to the one side of the peddal sensor, what wire could i tie into on the main harness switch to light up the brake lights? If you could give me location and color, that would be great. 1965 289 coupe.

i plan on doing a painless setup probably this year, but it would be nice, especailly for those following me, to have brake lights..

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Did you cut the wires to the Turn switch also? There are actually two wires that feed the brake lights since they double as Brake and Turn lights. Coming out of the turn switch you have an Orange/Blue that feeds the right rear and a Light Green/Red that feeds the left rear.
If you are planning a complete rewire of the car, unless you are planning on doing a custom job, you might consider a factory replacement harness. You have to order them section by section, and it might cost a little more than the Painless, but it is sooo much easier to install. All of the wires are cut to length the terminals are already there and its all wrapped up nicely, so it's just plug and play. No cutting, no crimping, no cursing.
If you are hell bent on doing it all yourself and are comfortable taking on such an endeavor, there are universal kits that are much cheaper than the Painless. Like It's a Snap or EZ Wiring. If you don't mind GM color coded wires. I am partial to the It's a Snap kit.
If you want some decent schematics you can go to Summit racing and look up the Painless kit for your car and download the instructions on PDF.

Turn switch is broken, all stuff that was wrong with the car when i bought it. and im not sure what im doing with the front suspension/steering yet. (might ditch the coil overs for MII front end and rack and pinion). so i dont want to buy all new stuff, only to buy a new collum down the road. So just wiring stuff up so i can drive and race it this summer/fall. Its converted to 1 wire alternator, and pretty much the only thing the stock harness does now is run the lights and starter solenoid. everything else is bypassed.

ill crawl under the dash this weekend and see what i can see.. I have a arm for turn signals..lol

ill get all the signals working after it gets all new wire.

thanks for the info though.