need help with engine install: lining up torque converter with flexplate

sallystrothers

Feb 23, 2008
I am having issues getting the flex plate aligned with the torque converter when going to bolt my engine to the tranny. I have a windsor engine I am trying to mate with the AOD transmission and a EDGE racing converter. What we tried today was putting the studs for the torque converter poking out towards the front of the engine and then trying to slowly bolt the engine up and get everything lined up. Seems the torque converter studs don't seem to line up very easily with the holes in the flexplate. What is the secret to doing this?

Plan B is to take the studs off the torque converter completely, then bolt the engine and tranny up, then screw the studs (bolts) into the torque converter pointing to the end of the car and add a washer. The bolts for the torque converter are allen head bolts and presumably can be threaded either direction into the torque converter.

Is there any issue with doing this? If so what is the best way?

• Sponsors (?)

You just have to screw with it.

First, I'd take the flexplate and make sure it fits the converter by holding it there by hand. (Pull it off the motor to make sure it fits, basically.)

Once you establish it fits, you have to screw with it a little when you bolt it to the crank again. FWIW: I used a big ol' socket and 1/2" drive ratchet to turn the crank a little at a time until it lined up. :)

I know this isn't much help, but hopefully it'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck,
Alan

When I put my converter in and bolted the trans to the engine I used bolts and lock washers instead of studs on the converter. It was pretty easy to rotate the converter around to line it up with on of the holes in the flexplate to get the first bolt in. Then I turned the engine over and put the rest of the bolts in and tightened them down.