need help with exhaust install

I candy

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
Honolulu
so i'm trying to get this right. i tried 3 times and still its not fitting right.

the tail pipes are hitting the gas tank and the pipes over the axles are hitting the frame and sides making crazy noise.

I changed couple of the isolator bushings and got the exhaust to sit closer to the floor pan and straiter. but its still not fixed.

I plan on putting Ford racing headers soon.

so can you guys give me some advice or tips? tighten front to back? back to front?

Right now i have on Bassani o/r x pipe, mufflers and tips.
Plan to put Ford Racing shortie headers.

thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

always keep all exhaust components pretty loose until everything fits correctly. I always start from the headers and finish at the tailpipes. Once everything is hanging right, tighten everything starting at the collectors and finishing at the tailpipes. Some systems fit better out of the box than others, I have no personal experience with Bassani's mustang exhaust. I had Bassani on my 04 lightning and everything fit like a glove

^ Good advice.

I just finished putting my car back together (including exhaust), and just like every exhaust sytem Ive ever worked with it took patience, a second set of hands, & a crow bar. Ive yet to see a "bolt on" exhaust that is really just "bolt on" & go...

What I ending up doing is hand fitted up everything,then take the car of the jackstands and craw under the car,with the load back on the wheels and suspension I could get a real time look at where the pipes and hangers ending up.

It help when you are small.

What I ending up doing is hand fitted up everything,then take the car of the jackstands and craw under the car,with the load back on the wheels and suspension I could get a real time look at where the pipes and hangers ending up.

It help when you are small.

my car sits like 4 inches off the ground. So i guess i'm out of luck there.

I'm not sure but i got my new rubber isolators from napa adn they do seem a bit skinny so it slides side to side on the hangers.

But even with the stock ones it was still hitting so i'm not sure what the problem is.

but thanks i'll remember that it is front to back on the tightening. And its only me working on my car. i got no friends that works on cars.