Need Help with Steeda CAI and Predator

Tried a few different searches and couldn't find anything helpful. The problem is yesterday I installed the Steeda CAI (very simple) and the Steeda CAI 91 octane tune with the Predator. It didn't take too long for me to get CEL. The trouble codes said that I was running rich in both banks. Then the car went into failsafe. I took the CAI out and replaced the factory airbox and tune. I've tried to download the latest update for the Steeda tunes (r-17) but the link on the diablosports site is bad. If anybody has this tune and can e-mail it to me or if anyone has had a similar problem any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Darren

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same exact problem as you do when I first had my Steeda CAI and the Predator. I talked to DiabloSport about it and they were little to no help. They told me that they would have a tune out for the new 90mm MAF sometime in the future but I have yet to see one. So, I decided I would just get my car tuned on a dyno to fix the problem. My tuner uses SCT's products so I decided to get rid of the Pred and buy an XCalibrator2 instead since SCT already had a tune for the 90mm MAF. I doubt this really helps your situation much, since it will cost you more money, but I highly recommend you get your car tuned. That way you will get better results then the canned tune, and you won't get the error codes either. Good luck getting the problem fixed, I am very impressed with Steeda's CAI so I hope you can get yours to work with your car. They don't have the looks of some of the other CAIs, but every 05 stang I have seen with one on it has put down some really good numbers on the dyno.

thanks for the info, I would go get a dyno tune but I'm stationed in Germany where it's next to impossible to find a a shop that is familiar with domestic Fords. I'd be all set if I had a ricer or a BMW, but then my neighbors wouldn't have anything to peek out of their windows at when that V-8 rumbles to life.

Yet another thread of how Diablosport's product and customer service sucks. Its helping me make my decision. Its unfortunate that your having these issues, but it does help those of us that havnt bought yet in making a choice.

I haven't screwed with the fuel tables, that's a little beyond my comfort level. I'm not going to comment on Diablosports customer service since this problem came up over a holiday weekend. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say. Has anybody installed this combo with the most current tune? What were the results? Any more issues?

Thanks to all that have lent their experience.
Here's to hoping I get this sorted out in short order.

The most current up to date file for the predator tuner is the r23 file.
http://www.diablosport.com/Downloads_U7140.php#downloadupdate
Now here is the trick, Steeda increased the size of their intake tube to 90mm from 85mm. Make sure to measure the inside diameter and download the correct one. First run of Steeda intakes are 85mm but all the new ones are 90mm. First update your predator with the r23 file then download the CAI tune. If you have a 85mm then use the r17 update. Hope this helps!

bishopsales said:
The most current up to date file for the predator tuner is the r23 file.
http://www.diablosport.com/Downloads_U7140.php#downloadupdate
Now here is the trick, Steeda increased the size of their intake tube to 90mm from 85mm. Make sure to measure the inside diameter and download the correct one. First run of Steeda intakes are 85mm but all the new ones are 90mm. First update your predator with the r23 file then download the CAI tune. If you have a 85mm then use the r17 update. Hope this helps!

I spoke with Diablosport yesterday and I must say I am very impressed with the level of customer service I received. They took the time to explain to me how to run the diagnostics and what to look for, and how to adjust MAF table to correct the issue that I'm having. Also got the update for the tool that I needed. The r-23 update is the the latest version of the GT performance tune. The r-17 is the latest update for the Steeda CAI tunes. So now it's back down to the garage to install CAI and the new tune. Thanks to everone that helped out.

Update: I installed the CAI and the new tune this morning, took it for a test drive and ran the diagnostics. I was still running a little rich but no CEL. Pulled into a parking lot, adjusted the MAF curve, re installed the tune and ran the diagnostics again. Perfect. This thing is making some nice power now and the throttle response is awesome. Many thanks to Cole at Diablosport for taking the time to explain things to me Barney style.

Yet another thread of how Diablosport's product and customer service sucks. Its helping me make my decision. Its unfortunate that your having these issues, but it does help those of us that havnt bought yet in making a choice.

Everybody likes to talk smack and jump down Diablo's throat. The fact that they are improving their product says alot and their customer support line is very helpful.

You see threads about these TSB's from ford and unresolved issues with the s197 and nobody says "well im happy to hear these horror stories so now I will sell my s197 mustang and buy a 350Z."
No, instead they stick with car and work with ford. For some reason all patience and flexibility goes out the window with aftermarket companies.

These are new cars with very sophistcated electronics and even ford has issues with them. I mean this is the first year that a mustang owner has had to custom tune their vehicle for a simple CAI. Now ford makes the new mustang with HC trap and some without it on the same run. What's up with that?

Sorry for the rant, but people need to stop trashing companies and making assumptions about their cars and the parts they by for them. Modifying your car used to be a never ending process of tinkering with them and mixing and matching parts to see what worked best as people worked by day and saved money for their mustang hobbies. Now it seems like it is all about customer product reviews and "this company sucks so lets put them out of business".

Just my 2 million cents lol

Well put. It's important to note that these are opinions. For people like me, who like to plan ahead and gather info (I won't even have my '06 till this weekend!), you need to remember that opinions are just opinions. Facts are sometimes hard to comeby.

As I mentioned in my original post (#4) I have always had excellent customer service from DiabloSport and Cole's knowledge and product support is second to none. While some may have had a bad experience with DiabloSport, I never have. I'm sure those looking to trash a manufacturer will always find some reason to complain.

bvega said:
Everybody likes to talk smack and jump down Diablo's throat. The fact that they are improving their product says alot and their customer support line is very helpful.

Nobody's jumping down Diablo's throat. One of the things that I do on these forums is browse and read the topics that come to my interest (which I'm sure a majority of the members here do :cheers: ). And it just so happens that I have read more horror stories [we dont need get into specifics as I'm not here trying to rub anyones face in it] about Diablo than I have about their competitors.

You see threads about these TSB's from ford and unresolved issues with the s197 and nobody says "well im happy to hear these horror stories so now I will sell my s197 mustang and buy a 350Z."
No, instead they stick with car and work with ford. For some reason all patience and flexibility goes out the window with aftermarket companies.

You analogy is like comparing apples to oranges my friend. The two tuners are supposed to be on a pretty much even keil. I wouldnt compare a 350Z to an S197. But I get your point :)

These are new cars with very sophistcated electronics and even ford has issues with them. I mean this is the first year that a mustang owner has had to custom tune their vehicle for a simple CAI. Now ford makes the new mustang with HC trap and some without it on the same run. What's up with that?

I agree :nice:

Opinions? Id be careful with that term. If I install something on my car and it doesnt work. Its not my opinion it doesnt work. Its a fact. :)

I tend to agree that there are a few negative posts out there about Diablosport, but here is a good one. I can honestly say that as a total novice when it comes to modifying and tuning, the Predator was very user friendly, easy to operate, and near as scary as I thought it was going to be. The manual provided is excellent and the customer service that "I" received was top notch. I love the diagnostic options and the data logging feature, and the ability to modify the tune that you're loading makes the tool well worth it.

05 BLK-BLK --I am sorry about the rant, I just have seen people jump to hasty conclusions about companies including diablosport.

For instance there was one mustang owner that had a programming issue with the predator that added the Steeda delete plates and c&l CAI and kept getting the CEL light. He wrote a post about how crappy the predator was and then switched to SCT. Well he spent several hours on the dyno with SCT and still got the CEL light. In the end he just yanked out the steeda plates that were causing the light.

He then wrote a post apologizing to diablosport as it really wasnt there fault. There was just something about his car that wouldnt make the steeda plates work.

I understand the need for users to advise the rest of the stangnet community to beware of certain companies and parts and give feedback for others to use and I love that. But some of these "opinions/facts" are sometimes inflamatory and prejudge a situation. People need to be more patient with the aftermarket IMO.

I also feel that the aftermarket needs to ignore the anxious S197 consumer market and just take its time to come out with a better part.

Also sometimes a part may not work for other reasons such as the combination of parts like the above example. The steeda plates work great and the C&L intake works great but when they were put together he could not get the car to be tuned right. Another issue could also have to do with end user installation mistakes. Having something not work right may not factually be a flaw or defect in the part and that companies products and engineering. I just feel that we sometimes over simplify a problem and arent patient enough to consider all of the possibilities and solutions.

bvega said:
05 BLK-BLK --I am sorry about the rant, I just have seen people jump to hasty conclusions about companies including diablosport.

For instance there was one mustang owner that had a programming issue with the predator that added the Steeda delete plates and c&l CAI and kept getting the CEL light. He wrote a post about how crappy the predator was and then switched to SCT. Well he spent several hours on the dyno with SCT and still got the CEL light. In the end he just yanked out the steeda plates that were causing the light.

He then wrote a post apologizing to diablosport as it really wasnt there fault. There was just something about his car that wouldnt make the steeda plates work.

I understand the need for users to advise the rest of the stangnet community to beware of certain companies and parts and give feedback for others to use and I love that. But some of these "opinions/facts" are sometimes inflamatory and prejudge a situation. People need to be more patient with the aftermarket IMO.

I also feel that the aftermarket needs to ignore the anxious S197 consumer market and just take its time to come out with a better part.

Also sometimes a part may not work for other reasons such as the combination of parts like the above example. The steeda plates work great and the C&L intake works great but when they were put together he could not get the car to be tuned right. Another issue could also have to do with end user installation mistakes. Having something not work right may not factually be a flaw or defect in the part and that companies products and engineering. I just feel that we sometimes over simplify a problem and arent patient enough to consider all of the possibilities and solutions.

I completely agree. Great post. :cheers: