Need HELP with strange cooling problem

95stocker

Mar 25, 2003
Rochester
I have a new Stant radiator cap, a new thermostat, removed old coolant, used the flush, put in new coolant, pressure tested fine, but the engine still gets hot and when it does I start blowing coolant from somewhere around the firewall on the driver's side. I'm guessing I have a bad gasket on the intake, but why is my car still heating up? Is it because of increased hp or do I have other issues here?

Also, is the summit aluminum radiator worth buying? Also, what high flow water pump would anyone recommend?

• Sponsors (?)

well there is a good possibility that there is an air bubbles trapped within the system. take the raidator cap off and let it idle for about 30min to an hour and watch all the bubbles come outta the system. give a good squeeze to the upper radiator hose too (not so much that fluid poor out of the radiator tho :) ). just something to check

and if you had a bad gasket, you will smell burning coolant when driving and white smoke.

Yea, you could smell burning coolant, but it only did that for like a week and then stopped. Also, it was so small a leak that you could only smell it or see it when I was stopped. I haven't noticed it happening anymore though, so maybe I've moved on to bigger and badder problems.

I'll try getting the air out of the system today, that could be it. Would it be better if I had the front end up on ramps when I did it?

oh yea, forgot to mention, I'm putting a new pcv valve in, a new breather in place of the oil fill cap, and a new rear main (leaking like a siv). So maybe the engine will cool down with the new pcv valve in place :shrug:

kinda doubt it....sounds like something along the lines of the cooling system. no need to put her up on jacks or anything. just take off the cap and let her idle for awhile. if you water/coolant is full then it might overflow a bit from the radiator.

btw, what is your water/coolant ratio?? that is a problem for many people (ill admit ive done it when i first got my car) and dont know a proper ratio for warmer weather

well now that summer is coming around, i would run somewhere near 70/30. im running about 80/20 and my car is gonna stay nice and cold all summer long. i cant remember off of the top of my head but i think 70/30 water/coolant can withstand some pretty cold temps too. ill have to look at my chart in a lil while but changing your water/coolant ratio to even 75/25 will make a huge difference. hopefully that and getting the airbubbles outta your system could solve your problem. not sure about the leak, ill take a look in my engine bay and see exactly runs back there but i say try to take a paper towel and slowly dab behind the engine to see when you start to see coolant. you very well could have a little tear in your headgasket

I'm praying it's not a head gasket, that's all I need right now :nonono:
I'm really doubting a compression test would even help me out with this. I think it's going to be trial and error because it only leaks with the motors is hot from hard or very long use.