Need Help with wiring an 87 GT Convertible Radio

It sounds like you are slowly getting somewhere with this issue. If it keeps kicking your butt I would suggest just running new wires. It isn't that hard to do in these cars, and you've got time on your hands to do it.

I've done this in both of my fox bodies, but this seems as good a place as any to ask this question. For the dash speakers I've always just wired them together with the door speaker on the same side of the car. So six speakers running off of 4 wires. Is this a safe way of doing it or is it better to use crossovers or something for the door and dash speaker?

Good luck getting the radio up and going!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It's fine to do it with the dash and door speakers wired together. I've always done that on my personal cars and customers cars. Crossovers are more for sound quality. Putting the speakers in their optimum frequency range.

The biggest impact on wiring door and dash speakers together is the watts. Most radios only put out 50 watts per channel. That would be 25watts for the doors and 25watts for the dash. Good thing the dash speakers are so much smaller and take less wattage. In the last 10 years or so I started installing tweeters in place of the dash speakers. Way more clarity in the highs. In this case you want the lows and mids in the frequency taken out before they reach the speaker. I let the doors and rear speakers carry a blend of mids and highs ( 3way speakers ). The bass comes mostly from single or dual 10s or bigger in the hatch or trunk.

I like my music loud.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Hate to piggy back on someone else's thread but I am having a similar issue. Only I'm trying to re install the factory stereo. I believe I need to track down an amp side connector and amp to be able to piece mine back together. Does anyone know of where I might be able to get another amp connector or harness besides a junk yard?
20200416_170201.jpg

Hate to piggy back on someone else's thread but I am having a similar issue. Only I'm trying to re install the factory stereo. I believe I need to track down an amp side connector and amp to be able to piece mine back together. Does anyone know of where I might be able to get another amp connector or harness besides a junk yard?
20200416_170201.jpg
What year is your car?

I'd make an offer and try to get it a little cheaper.

I've rarely seen an amp go bad, so for me it would be a gamble i'd take.

If you test the amp you can probably resell it. I've seen them sell for $30-50ish.

I do need to amp as well which is why I'm especially interested. Sounds like it's definitely worth the gamble then. If I am able to score this then I just need to figure out where to reconnect the door speakers as they are currently spliced into the current amp harness that was hacked up.
20200417_153145.jpg

Is any of the factory wiring for the doors being used? That wiring splices into the body harness after the amp harness. The factory wiring has a few plugs just inside the doors under the dash, and taped up on the doors if not being used.

A factory premium sound car has the amp and 6-speakers. The standard stereo is 4-speaker and lacks the doors. Often people add the door speakers in and run the wires. They don't have the amp and amp harness though.

I'm not sure about the factory wiring for the doors, I would need to take things apart further to chase the wires. The car was originally a premium sound car. It appears when the previous owner had the new head unit installed they also installed new door speakers. In the picture I posted, the two wires pointed out by red arrow are what I believe are running to the door speakers. But they are tied into the amp harness, which if I'm not mistaken should be able to be unplugged and removed. So that's why I'm confused as to where, from the factory, the door speakers are wired in.