Need recommendations for the best clutch and motor mounts

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Going to have a shop change out the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket on my 92 gt. While they’re already in there I’d figure id have them change the clutch and motor mounts as well. The shop owner told me he recommends ram clutches. Is this good or is there another I should go with. Also what is a good motor mount you guys recommend.
The car will be street driven only I don’t want anything too harsh.

• Sponsors (?)

I used the Ram HDX clutch and have been really happy with it. I used stock motor and trans mounts. Felpro makes a Teflon rear main seal I would heavily recommend. Also make sure you get the modern one piece Felpro oil pan gasket.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The stock mounts being made these days are junk. Really only one vendor makes them and you can buy them for $6 each.

I went with Energy Suspension poly mounts, but if I could find a set of nos 91+ mounts I would switch in a heartbeat.

I tried oe replacement mounts and one side was so far off I would need to drill it out to mount it. I didn’t want to do that

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
The stock mounts being made these days are junk. Really only one vendor makes them and you can buy them for $6 each.

I went with Energy Suspension poly mounts, but if I could find a set of nos 91+ mounts I would switch in a heartbeat.

I tried oe replacement mounts and one side was so far off I would need to drill it out to mount it. I didn’t want to do that
How’s the nvh and feel with those energy suspension mounts. Also did they raise up the engine any?

Good to know thanks! Is there a difference between the red and black? Which should I get? Also do you guys think I should change the tranny mount as well to a polyurethane are there any benefits to doing that?

RAM clutches are an excellent trusted brand. If this were a car with a bunch of mods that you were drag racing, I would recommend something different. If the guy doing the work wants to use a RAM clutch, I would trust his expertise, and use what he recommends, and let him take the liability for it. Ask him to use the more modern Felpro BS 40644 rear main seal as opposed to the old school BS 40620. The new dry fit rear main seal technolgy is superior. the Anchor brand replacement motor mounts are :poo:; get the Energy Suspension ones.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
I used the energy suspension red mounts for both the engine and tranny when they need replacement years back. They are a good quality product and work well. I will tell you though, my engine seems to sit a tad higher, and you can definitely feel the engine through the car more. They don’t have as much of a dampening effect as the worn out stock pieces did. Lol. But that’s fine by me.

I agree that the Anchor mounts aren’t the best. I did have to tweak one to make it fit right, but they’ve been on the car for 6 years now with no issues. I’m sensitive to NVH so I’m sure the poly ones would drive me insane, but each to their own there.

I agree that the Anchor mounts aren’t the best. I did have to tweak one to make it fit right, but they’ve been on the car for 6 years now with no issues. I’m sensitive to NVH so I’m sure the poly ones would drive me insane, but each to their own there.
If you have an automatic, put your car in reverse and slightly power brake it and see how far up your engine lifts......
My parts store motor mounts were replaced with expensive ones after doing this....

Going to have a shop change out the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket on my 92 gt. While they’re already in there I’d figure id have them change the clutch and motor mounts as well. The shop owner told me he recommends ram clutches. Is this good or is there another I should go with. Also what is a good motor mount you guys recommend.
The car will be street driven only I don’t want anything too harsh.
Ram clutches have a great reputation. I was torn between them and McLeod. I went McLeod but the clutch break in period was long. I had a Centerforce Dual Friction before that and 3 of the friction "pucks" on it let go after 30 000 miles. I'll never buy another clutch that's not riveted.
I bought convertible motor mounts and I like them, they really last. Not sure on the brand, except they were poly.

If you have an automatic, put your car in reverse and slightly power brake it and see how far up your engine lifts......
My parts store motor mounts were replaced with expensive ones after doing this....
Not a auto, but I’ve never had any issues with excessive engine movement. I had the K member off a few months ago to do the oil pan gasket and was able to give them a good inspection. They still looked new. Maybe I just got a good set.

One other thing, the shop owner also told me that if I wanted they could also change out my oil pump while they’re doing the oil pan gasket for little to no increase in labor I see lmr has the factory replacement and a high volume oil pump. Should I upgrade to the high volume or just stick with the factory? My car is a H/C/I car with cobra upper and lower, edelbrock performer heads, and a x303 cam making around 300hp.