Need replacement ECU

I need a replacement A3M ECU. What are your experiences with buying replacements. Should I get one off EBAY or a reman at AutoZone or another parts store? I want to stick with the factory ECU because I have a custom chip for one or else I would go with a MicroSquirt.

Comment

• Sponsors (?)

Ebay from ECUExchange. A few people here have dealt with them with very good results.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s you’re only option other than going with the Holley terminator kit like I did. There is not a reman out there to be purchased. They say then have them but believe me I’ve spent hours looking and not a part store around has one. I would send your old one to ecu on eBay and the will rebuild what you have for $120. No need to buy a complete replacement especially if you can wait 2-3 weeks they are pretty quick with their ecu rebuilds.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s you’re only option other than going with the Holley terminator kit like I did. There is not a reman out there to be purchased. They say then have them but believe me I’ve spent hours looking and not a part store around has one. I would send your old one to ecu on eBay and the will rebuild what you have for $120. No need to buy a complete replacement especially if you can wait 2-3 weeks they are pretty quick with their ecu rebuilds.
There are actually dozens of options other that a stock ecu, including those actually made in the USA.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I totally get what your saying. Put actually try and put on in your cart and order it. You’ll never complete the transaction or get it. They have them listed but the only ones in stock or for 4 cylinder vehicles. I promise you I just went through this 3 months ago and it’s not what it appears.

I totally get what your saying. Put actually try and put on in your cart and order it. You’ll never complete the transaction or get it. They have them listed but the only ones in stock or for 4 cylinder vehicles. I promise you I just went through this 3 months ago and it’s not what it appears.
I meant other than the China Holley unit.. dont get me wrong its good for what its capable of for a basic install. I just hate large corp products.

For my situation converting my 87gt from speed density it was the clear answer. By the time I found a a3m or A9L ecm, mass air flow sensor, harness, power pipe etc. I was about $300 less than buying the Holley kit that I can easily tune. For cars with lots of add ins the Holley kit is the way to go. For a stock mustang not worth it at all!

Back to my original comment is there is not a remanufactured 5.0 ecm available for sale from any auto part store online. I would love for someone to prove me wrong but outside of repairing a unit you have or paying $300 plus off eBay or forum you can’t not find an A3M or A9L ecm!

For my situation converting my 87gt from speed density it was the clear answer. By the time I found a a3m or A9L ecm, mass air flow sensor, harness, power pipe etc. I was about $300 less than buying the Holley kit that I can easily tune. For cars with lots of add ins the Holley kit is the way to go. For a stock mustang not worth it at all!

Remans have dropped off because nobody was turning in a good core anymore, or some ECU's were simple no longer usable. Many were buying A9L's to do mass air swaps on speed density 5.0's and returning the SD ECU as a core, which cannot be used. Attrition is slowly reducing the number out there. Good, functioning ECU's are selling for $300+. (Speed density ECU's sell for much less however).

The same happened to 03-04 Cobra steering racks, and 93 Cobra boosters. Guys would buy these, and return non-equivalent parts as cores. As a result, no good cores means nothing to rebuild to offer for sale. Try and find a 93 Cobra booster today. I sold a reman unit for $300 not too long ago because you can't find them now.

Really, the only option available today is ECUexchange, pay the $300+ for a used mass-air ECU, or go with an aftermarket system.

The aftermarket ECU option may not be the best for some who still need to pass emissions or smog as most setups don't come ready to control things like the EGR, air pump system, evap. Some guys can make it work though, but for the most part people installing aftermarket ECU's aren't concerned with this.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a real strong hate for the Holley stuff huh ...
I mean I tune the stuff but I would never use it on my own projects...
The China corp that owns holley also owns racepack, msd, mallory, and the list goes on... you know what happened to the other companies the quality began to suffer.
I just prefer to buy products that support American companies that have jobs and manufacturing in the states. [ well to be fair some things you literally have no choice but to buy from china they are the only manufacturers of a lot of electronic parts. ]

Bottom line is if they actually moved the manufacturing back to the states I would not hate on it as much, its still way overpriced for what you get the datalog software is lacking but they do make it very simple for the basic user.

FYI MegalogviewerHD is the only datalog software I use for everything much better in terms of flexibility but does lack the ability to jump back and forth between the log and the tune like the package software does.

I mean I tune the stuff but I would never use it on my own projects...
The China corp that owns holley also owns racepack, msd, mallory, and the list goes on... you know what happened to the other companies the quality began to suffer.
I just prefer to buy products that support American companies that have jobs and manufacturing in the states. [ well to be fair some things you literally have no choice but to buy from china they are the only manufacturers of a lot of electronic parts. ]

Bottom line is if they actually moved the manufacturing back to the states I would not hate on it as much, its still way overpriced for what you get the datalog software is lacking but they do make it very simple for the basic user.

FYI MegalogviewerHD is the only datalog software I use for everything much better in terms of flexibility but does lack the ability to jump back and forth between the log and the tune like the package software does.
I know they are all owned under one unit . Comes down to what you like I guess . It is simple and definitely works well , different ways to skin a cat .

Not to mention any remanufactured ecm that could be found would have been made over seas... I wish it was 1942 again and products were made in the USA but let’s be real 85%of America made cars today are all made from parts not produced here. So let’s not get to carried away with this nonsense topic. Insert uncle same reference here

I know they are all owned under one unit . Comes down to what you like I guess . It is simple and definitely works well , different ways to skin a cat .

Not to mention any remanufactured ecm that could be found would have been made over seas... I wish it was 1942 again and products were made in the USA but let’s be real 85%of America made cars today are all made from parts not produced here. So let’s not get to carried away with this nonsense topic. Insert uncle same reference here
I’m not getting carried away with any topic . I have a holley on my car for years now that works light years better then a stock ecu . I was just pointing out as to why was the holley finger pointed at when it works and is on some of the fastest cars in the country . That’s all .

Last edited: