Need some advice...rear end problem

inferno9898

May 17, 2003
Two weekends ago I changed my rear end fluid for the first time. Threw in nearly two bottles of royal purple, minus spillage. I had trouble really making sure that there was enough fluid in there. I would stick my pinky in, and it would come back covered in oil, but I wasn't really sure I could feel a level. Anyway, I figured the volume I had put in was enough and closed it up.

Fast forward a couple days, I start to feel some vibrations and increased volume while I'm accelerating. Most of it would cut off when I let off the gas. Of course since it is my only transportation and I'm an idiot, I continue to drive. About 500 or so miles later I decide it has gotten much worse so I stopped driving.

Anyway....I pulled the fill plug today and it is hairier after those 500 miles than after the first 45000. I still have the same problem that I can't feel a level but I still get plenty of oil on my pinky. I'm guessing that it isn't full enough and I'm just getting leftovers that are on the wall.

Any guesses as to how much damage I did? Will refilling it with good oil probably solve the problem? Did I just force myself to go with 4.10s? ;)

• Sponsors (?)

inferno9898 said:
Two weekends ago I changed my rear end fluid for the first time. Threw in nearly two bottles of royal purple, minus spillage. I had trouble really making sure that there was enough fluid in there. I would stick my pinky in, and it would come back covered in oil, but I wasn't really sure I could feel a level. Anyway, I figured the volume I had put in was enough and closed it up.

Fast forward a couple days, I start to feel some vibrations and increased volume while I'm accelerating. Most of it would cut off when I let off the gas. Of course since it is my only transportation and I'm an idiot, I continue to drive. About 500 or so miles later I decide it has gotten much worse so I stopped driving.

Anyway....I pulled the fill plug today and it is hairier after those 500 miles than after the first 45000. I still have the same problem that I can't feel a level but I still get plenty of oil on my pinky. I'm guessing that it isn't full enough and I'm just getting leftovers that are on the wall.

Any guesses as to how much damage I did? Will refilling it with good oil probably solve the problem? Did I just force myself to go with 4.10s? ;)

I would drop all of the oil and look for metal particles. If you have big shavings in there, chances are you need new gears.

even if you put 1 quart in the rear, the gears/rear end would have still been lubricated enough. 2 quarts is the perfect amount when you dont have to add the friction modifier(since RP comes with that already). the fluid change was not the problem here.

sounds like your pinion bearings are wiped out..

try these two tests.

1. get up to about 45 and see if there is a difference when your on the gas on off. if it howls on the gas and goes away when you let off then most likely it's the pinion bearings.

2. remove the driveshaft from the differental flange and see if you can move the flange up and down.. if you have play in the flange the bearings are wiped out.

If you do have either one of these concerns remove the diff cover and see if the gears themselfs show signs of heat damage ( blueish/purple tint to the gears) you should be able to see signs of metal overheating.