Need some exhaust system advice before removing

resonators. Previous owner 15K miles ago had 2'Dia. dual exhaust system put on 1966 C Code. Has H pipe crossover then(oval OEM) mufflers,resonators then GT tips. Was going to have resonators remove, thinking I could get a louder sound. Some shops say it will improve sound, some say no but replace mufflers with flowmasters and leave resonators on? Now it would be less $$ to omete resonators though. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Those resonators were put on there because it sounded cheap and crappy without them. Ford was not in the habit of giving exhaust parts away because they were in a good mood. :D

The resonators smooth and deepen the tone. Basically, turns "rap-rap-rap-rap-rap" into "rump-rump-rump-rump-rump".

C5ZZ5257WRS 1965-66 with resonators.jpg

Good point 2+2 GT

Those resonators were put on there because it sounded cheap and crappy without them. Ford was not in the habit of giving exhaust parts away because they were in a good mood. :D

The resonators smooth and deepen the tone. Basically, turns "rap-rap-rap-rap-rap" into "rump-rump-rump-rump-rump".

C5ZZ5257WRS 1965-66 with resonators.jpg

So I guess going with different mufflers(Magnaflow etc.) would be a better move, for an other then stock sound. Don't get me wrong,car sounds OK for stock. I just turned 60 and don't need to be in a Flowmax or male enhancement comercial.LOL Just wondering about options.BTW engine is stock. Thanks again.

after having flows on half the mustangs ive owned, i avoid them at mostly any cost. magnafolw, Mac, and SpinTech are always what i say to look at. If ya have a few hundred burning a hole, just replace the header back setup with a 2 1/4 system. x-pipe and cat back. It will sound good, give a little more muscle car tone, and even though you dont need to be on a commercial sitting in a bath tub, it does sound pretty cool drivin down the road. Just a idea. But my stuff and thoughts tend to me a little more radical then some of the guys on here. But i even suggested 2 1/4 instead of 2.5...trying to keep it calm...lol

I agree avoid Dronemaster/Blowmaster. I've had them before and can't stand them. I have Dynomax Ultraflo and really like them. I also like Magnaflow. I think you would probably like Magnaflow with the resonators.