Some exhaust welding help needed

Try to weld the hangers so that the muffler and pipe assembly is balanced. If you dont, and they are separate pipes like mine it can make aligning and bolting the header flanges a real pita.
Headers are all bolted up.. they are ball and socket....

• Sponsors (?)

The " one into two" stock exhaust was completely rotted out... Other than that not sure what you mean?
Maybe i'm confused, the pic on page 2 with the tail pipes turning downwards, those are your new tail pipes or your old ones? If they are the old ones, disregard my comment.
If they aren't, that's how an 87-93 gt is done because you can't see them.
An LX gets lx tailpipes which are visible from the sides of the car. Best looking tailpipe setup in history as far as i'm concerned.

@limp he is talking about looking like this vs what you have:

1717699557209.png

Maybe i'm confused, the pic on page 2 with the tail pipes turning downwards, those are your new tail pipes or your old ones? If they are the old ones, disregard my comment.
If they aren't, that's how an 87-93 gt is done because you can't see them.
An LX gets lx tailpipes which are visible from the sides of the car. Best looking tailpipe setup in history as far as i'm concerned.
My 83 was single exhaust... The rear tailpipe was where the single exhaust split into two pipes that were attached together and exited out the drivers side under the bumper....
To be honest, I thought the exposed pipes were the GT pipes....
I wanted the down turns, so we will see how they turn out....
thanks for keeping me honest.....

It can be confusing with the years (GT/Lx) and sometimes i forget that people haven't done this for their entire adult lives like some of us.
Just be mindful of how much effort you put into your current setup, the lx pipes really add to the look. I know it can sometimes be tempting to just say, F it, i'll fix it later, but that method has cost me quite a bit of time and money.
Not sure what year they went to the lx (at the time gt) exhaust, 1985?

1985 is the correct answer but it was still a two in one exhaust system in that it went headers, y-pipe, cat, then into a dual cat back. 1986 was the first year of a true dual exhaust and I believe Limp can confirm this as he has done a tone of research on this.

1985 is the correct answer but it was still a two in one exhaust system in that it went headers, y-pipe, cat, then into a dual cat back. 1986 was the first year of a true dual exhaust and I believe Limp can confirm this as he has done a tone of research on this.
Must of been 86, but alot of the catalogs show 87 up
85gtstang guy on here was a HUGE help trying to get it sorted out what I needed to do to get my dual exhaust on my car...
All that is left is to bend and weld the hangers to the mufflers/Exhaust pipes...
Been too hot to do... Hopefully the next few days I can get up early and try to move forward in the AM when its a bit cooler...
Again, I purchased the down turns because thats what I wanted...

I like the turn downs but I kinda buck the majority sometimes, I think it's the old skool in me.
Only issue I can predict would be they hang a little low and look awkward, my have to tuck them up a little but than may entail shortening the vertical pipe behind the rear axle.
I also think the turn downs sound different than the straight LX pipes. More deep? Maybe because they bounce the sound waves off the ground. :shrug: Blame it on the coffee :p

Rear bumper cover on a GT blends into the ground effects so it does hang lower. LX on left (oddly enough with turn downs) and Gat on right. You can see why some may feel they are too visible with an LX bumper.

1717719362364.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
While the lx photoshop pic above is a concern, i would be less concerned about the turn down (the turn down portion is preference) and more concerned that there is going to be 30 inches of exposed bare steel or aluminized exhaust pipe that was never meant to be seen in the profile view. Which is why lx exhaust pipes are chrome or polished.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Aerocoupe, thanks for the comparison picture... The downturns look fine in that pic, but I just spent the last hour in my garage ( mounting my new vise to my workbench to bend the hangers) and I see what 2000xp8 is talking about....
200xp8, now I see what you were trying to make me see.......
I missed this big time.... My poor kids, I think their inheritance just went down another $230....
IF I was to buy the new correct tail pipes, which ones?? Stainless, Aluminum I could polish?? Are there any chrome ones? I see that "PYPES" has the hangers bythe mufflers pre welded, although if they were off a bit that would be pretty worthless....
TY everyone......

Last edited:
They are certainly a great looking set of tailpipes.

I also really like the split duals on the late '70's Trans Am's.
1978-pontiac-trans-am-special-gold-edition.jpg
I am old enough to remember when those were new...
I wasn't a fan of those exhausts but I hadn't forgiven Pontiac ( and the Chevy Z28 ) for ruining the front end on these cars in 74.....
the 70-73 Trans Ams and Z28s were one of my favorite vehicles...... Red car is a 74

th (2).jpg
th (1).jpg

I run the aluminized with stainless tips. You have to make sure the aluminized to stainless joint is behind the wheel so you don’t see it. There are some cheap ones that the joint is on the straight part of the tail pipe and it is readily visible and looks no bueno.

Reactions: 1 user
Update here.....
Here is a pic of the stock exhaust tip that came on my single exhaust 83... You can see its no good, 1/2 of it is rusted gone... The single exhaust converged to this dual exhaust tip that came out under the bumper on the drivers side...
Tried but couldn't find a pic of a good one installed.......
DSCF1488.JPG

Last edited: