Need some help tracking down a unique brake fitting.

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Got this fitting off a 94-95 car WITHOUT abs. I beleive the ABS cars may have the same setup even though the prop valve is turned vertically.

This is the fitting on the end of the prop valve all alone. I got this off a non-ABS car but can someone confirm for me that the ABS cars may have this same Nut on them?

58291d1242586995-anyone-know-where-i-can-order-individual-brake-hard-lines-dsc00539.jpg

Here's where i need help. I replaced the rear plug on my Fox with this fitting. I, for the life of me, can't find a matching nut/fitting that screws into it to adapt my brake line into. I may have to custom make a line but need this particular nut.

Does anyone know what thread and fitting type this is? It doesn't look double flare to me. I think it's 5/16" and fine thread....perhaps 5/16-20? Does anyone know if both the ABS and nonABS cars have the same fitting setup? I know the lines are routed differently, but i just need the fittings. I'll make my own line.

Junkyard has tons of ABS SN95's, but all the non-ABS ones have been stripped for fox 5-lug conversion parts.

58290d1242586995-anyone-know-where-i-can-order-individual-brake-hard-lines-dsc00538.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm, I've dealt with that fitting. That fitting is at the back of the prop valve on a non-ABS Mustang, it leads to the driver's front brake caliper. The non-ABS cars have three lines leading out of the prop valve. ABS cars use the same prop valve but that fitting is a PLUG rather than an adapter. The TWO lines lead out of the prop valve to the ABS unit on the passenger side, then a line is fed back to the driver's front caliper.

I did not see the prop valve turned vertically on the 94=95 cars, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I am not familiar with the fox's so I have no other frame of reference.

To be clear, an ABS Mustang will have a plug instead of that adapter fitting. Other than that, the prop valve on the GT & V6 is the same. The prop valve on a Cobra has different fittings coming in from the master cylinder (so a GT/V6 MC won't thread in to a Cobra prop valve with the factory hard lines, and vice versa), but the fittings leading out from the prop valve are identical.

I know this because of my Cobra conversion project. I pulled the prop valve from the Cobra donor car (which was an ABS car) and installed it and the MC on my V6 chassis, which is a non-ABS car. I swapped the fitting you have above from my V6 prop valve onto the Cobra prop valve. Fits perfectly.

The stock brake line on the 94-95 cars threads perfectly into that fitting. I don't know of any adapters you can use offhand.

This is a decent photo of the brake lines around the prop valve on my Cobra clone, which does not have ABS. The line on the left leads down and under the frame rail going to the left front caliper.

day3_6.jpg

The lines run under the bottom of the radiator support, and come out over on the passenger side:

day3_7.jpg

I believe the rest is identical on all cars: one of the lines in the second photo goes to the right front caliper, and the other hooks up to a junction in the front wheel well that leads to the rear axle.

The prop valve for ABS cars can be re-used for non-ABS cars. There's a nut on the back end of the prop valve that looks like it's part of the prop valve. It isn't, and it's a standard thread (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty). You will need the fitting Mustang5L5 showed to hook up the left front caliper line.

It might be easier to raid from a non-ABS V6 or GT to get the hard lines and the prop valve. The master cylinder is identical on all 94-95 V6 and GT Mustangs.

Looks like i'm going to have to track down a non-ABS car at a boneyard or see if anyone is parting out out.

I'll give classic tube a call and see if they sell that one brake line.

You wouldn't happen to know what size thread is inside that fitting would you? Is it M12 x 1.0 bubble flare?

Anyone have pics of the non abs car... and where the lines go.... im getting rid of my abs... i think it would help this thread out alot as well

I did the same thing this weekend on my 94GT, except I put a linelock where the ABS used to sit. Anyway, you can remove the ABS without buying a bunch of new lines.

To do the job neatly, you do have to be able to double flare though so you can replace the fittings with 3/16 and avoid the metric nightmare. A double flare kit with a mini tube cutter could probably be rented, but it's a tool I bought 20 years ago and use it fairly often.

You may find threads on the internet showing compression unions. Much easier, unfortunately they were not designed for the pressures a brake system produces (500+ PSI). I;ve seen them fail many times. My cost was under 10 bucks. (linelock not included of course)

Also, when you remove the ABS unit you will see the line locations clearly marked. Label them with tape and you won't have to trace them down.

Sorry for the thread hijack.