• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

need some opinions on motor again

  • Thread starter Thread starter Project 77
  • Start date Start date Dec 4, 2003

Project 77

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2002
370
2
16
Bernville PA
Dec 4, 2003
#1
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #1
I posted awhile back about which stroker motor to go with. Well the more I think about it the more I realize there is nothing really wrong with the current motor. quick rundown. Motor has an X cam, 24 pound injectors, Motorsport upper and lower, and thats about all. I am having a hell of a time with the car idling, doesn;t want to stay running at red lights. Heres why i considered a new motor. My dumb ass drove the car into standing water one evening on the way home, motor shut off, had to tow it home. I drained the oil, flushed the motor, new air filter, cleaned out the intake of all the water, put everythihg back together and it runs, but you can hear every pushrod chatter. Friend of mine said all I need to do is replace the heads and the pushrods. He offered to tear the whole motor down, check and Mic everything, install new heads, and put it all back together for $300. so now I am looking at a new set of heads, and trying to figure out how to make it idle VS new motor...Does water damage a motor that bad? and do I need to match the Mass air meter to the injectors?
 

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
6,659
1
0
Portland, Oregon
Dec 4, 2003
#2
  • Dec 4, 2003
  • #2
In your shoes, I'd just rebuild the motor. Most of the work is getting it apart, why not do the full meal deal? The heads are almost certainly not ruined, I can't imagine that, at worse you would rebuild them. Of course, it would be a ideal time to pick up some aluminum heads and a nice cam...



Dave
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
Resolved Need some assistance. Holley Terminator X alongside H/C/I. Very rough/inconsistent idle
  • karhoot
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
139
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 6, 2026
karhoot
K
1
Engine Motor swap from a 2003 Explorer
  • 1996mustang new
  • Oct 9, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
739
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 16, 2025
squeak93
9
Engine Donor '00 Mountaineer meet '91 Fox
  • 91firecracker
  • May 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
41
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 28, 2026
91firecracker
9
H
Forced Induction On3 Turbo Kit- Parts list NEEDED - 302 Stock Motor
  • Hirothecool1
  • Feb 27, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
21
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Mar 7, 2026
slow84lx
S
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?