Need Suspension Help

I hope this is the right place for this. As my question is more technical, than talk. Anyway, I have FRPP K springs on my 05 GT. I did not receive the advertised 1.5" drop, from the springs. The result was more like 1". I installed the springs correctly, and there are/were no isolators on the springs like in my previous 03 GT. So that eliminates pulling the iso's to gain another 1/4" or so. Also the springs are "clocked" correctly.

I refuse to pay another $225-250 for more springs. I have decided to cut the springs to gain my desired drop. I would like to go down another 1/2". My question is how much of a coil must I cut to drop the car only 1/2"?

So now I am calling on all you out there who have experience cutting springs. I need your help. Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Don't cut anything the car will ride like dog ****!! When did you install the springs? Sometimes it takes a while for them to settle and reach the advertised drop. I'ld contact the retailer you bought them from first maybe they will exchange them. I have the FRPP handling pack and it dropped the car perfectly.

I bought the springs from Gwinnett Place Ford. The springs have been on the car a month and a half, plenty of time for them to settle. It only takes a couple of weeks (if that) for springs to settle. I have contacted Ford directly and they said the FRPP K springs advertise up to 1.5" not specifically 1.5". And since they were already installed they could not be returned.

I know that stock springs (linear rate springs) that are drastically cut ( 1 or 2 coils) ride horrible. However, I do not believe a stiffer progressive rate spring would ride much different with a small amount of the coil removed. Keep in mind that I am talking about 1/2" here, not 1" to 2".

Thanks for your concern, and good overall advice. :nice: Come on guys, I know there are a good number of people who have cut there springs out there. Where are all of you at? :shrug:

Even after a month and a half, I'd give them a few more weeks to help settle. The best thing to do at this point is wait.... it can't hurt at all.

Secondly, did you do any actual measurements before and after, as well as recently to see the true amount of drop you got front and back? When you're looking at something as large as a car, 1/2" is barely perceptible from a few feet away.

Finally, I would seriously recommend against cutting the springs. Regardless of whether or not the springs are linear or progressive, cutting them WILL affect the spring constant, and therefore the ride and handling of the car. If you're only concerned about how the car looks and "sits", this may not be a big deal to you, but it would make a big difference if you're looking for better performance.

Honestly, buy some new springs and sell these on fleabay or something. They're not very old, you shouldn't lose too much on them. Don't cut your springs. The most important parts of the springs are the end. Not only does ride suffer, it can be dangerous.

Yeah, I measured the car before and after. The exact amount of drop was 1.12" in the front and .98" in the rear. That is a little far from 1.5". I understand what you guys are saying about cutting the springs, and really I appreciate the concern. Not trying to be stubborn here, but I have given this alot of thought, and cutting a small amount off of the springs is the only option that I plan on persuing. Waiting another couple of weeks will only prolong the inevitable.

I knew that I was going to catch ALOT of flack, for cutting the springs....:rolleyes:

..........Maybe this is why those who have cut their springs have not responded. They are afraid that they are going to get flammed......:flame:

I don't know any one who has cut their springs. Sounds like an idea that should be flamed to me. Have you explored other options? Maybe someone makes some kind of a clamp that could be used to pull two coils of the spring together? I don't know but there has to be some option better than cutting the springs. Not to dis you or anything but how would you cut them anyway? Seems to me that any kind of cutting is going to involve heating them up.

I too would not cut springs. They are constructed to work as designed. I wouldn't alter that for something I drive on the street! If it were some trailer/show queen and I wanted that look, then maybe. There have been numerous people on here with the K springs and it looks low to me. When I saw your pics earlier this week, I was going to mention lowering it, but I saw you had the K springs in your sig.

I have pics of my car at stock height with a yard stick, but that was to gauge how close the tires/wheels sat to the fenders, not for exact fender height. They aren't focused right to see the exact measurements, but they appear to be 28.5" for the front and 29" for the rear. I've had my springs in for 12 days and around 500 miles. I've been over really rough roads and even over patches on the interstate from lots of construction so I know my springs have been working hard:nice: I will try and measure the fenders today and post back here with the results.

Got as close to the same place in the cul-de-sac where I measured stock height as I could.

Using the same yard stick, I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender. Placed the yard stick against the bottom of the tire and used the center cap for centering purposes.

Stock:
Front 28.5"
Rear 29"

Lowered:
Front 26 7/8"(1.62" of the advertised 1.75")
Rear 28 1/4"(1.25" of the advertised 1.5")

I don't know any one who has cut their springs. Sounds like an idea that should be flamed to me. Have you explored other options? Maybe someone makes some kind of a clamp that could be used to pull two coils of the spring together? I don't know but there has to be some option better than cutting the springs. Not to dis you or anything but how would you cut them anyway? Seems to me that any kind of cutting is going to involve heating them up.

I read on different forums where people have cut the springs on pro kits before. (Might need to go ask there huh?) I have explored other options, and cutting springs seems to be the most effective. Cutting the springs only envolves a ziz-wheel, and about 15-20 minutes, nothing more. Heating springs is another old school alternative to cutting the springs, and is not needed when cutting the springs. Thanks for the flame job! :D

It takes springs about a full week to settle. Wait. Then see.

Every car I've ever put springs in to drop anywhere from .5" to a full .75" after a week of driving around.

As stated above the springs have been on the car a month and a half. I have been driving the car six weeks and still no settling.

If you are absolutely, 100% against changing out the springs, then at least go with a clamping product instead of cutting. As stated above, it might be ok for a trailer queen, but not something you drive all the time. While clamping will still harshen the ride a bit, it won't make it near as terrible as cutting the springs.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...05845/p-2005845/N-111+10201+600003440/c-10101

Thanks DarkFire, first person to offer tech advice, without any flamming.:flag:

Got as close to the same place in the cul-de-sac where I measured stock height as I could.

Using the same yard stick, I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender. Placed the yard stick against the bottom of the tire and used the center cap for centering purposes.

Stock:
Front 28.5"
Rear 29"

Lowered:
Front 26 7/8"(1.62" of the advertised 1.75")
Rear 28 1/4"(1.25" of the advertised 1.5")

I appreciate the info kooldawg. I purchased the K springs after doing alot of research. It seemed to be the best choice for me. I guess I should have gone with the pro kit. Lesson learned. And by the way... Your car looks "badass", the new Bullitt grill suits the car very nicely. How do you like it?

I appreciate the info kooldawg. I purchased the K springs after doing alot of research. It seemed to be the best choice for me. I guess I should have gone with the pro kit. Lesson learned. And by the way... Your car looks "badass", the new Bullitt grill suits the car very nicely. How do you like it?

Not a problem:nice: I also was leaning towards the K springs until I stumbled across the StangSuspension springs which give it more drop in the front(which I was after since I have the taller than stock rear tire).

Thanks for the compliment on the grill:nice: It is exactly the look I was after and I love the outcome! Made me have to order hood pins as the increased airflow into the grill has made the hood shake worse!

Thanks for the compliment on the grill:nice: It is exactly the look I was after and I love the outcome! Made me have to order hood pins as the increased airflow into the grill has made the hood shake worse!

all the extra holes you made wouldnt have anything to do with that, would it?

:jester:

It is exactly the look I was after and I love the outcome! Made me have to order hood pins as the increased airflow into the grill has made the hood shake worse!

I don't think that hood pins will look bad with the look that you have going on. Are you getting the hood pins with the "plastic strap thingies"? (<-- Sorry don't know what they are called) I think those would look the best IMO. But, hey this is from a guy who is going to cut his springs! LOL:doh:

all the extra holes you made wouldnt have anything to do with that, would it?

:jester:

I was thinking the same thing. Function over form though....

I don't think that hood pins will look bad with the look that you have going on. Are you getting the hood pins with the "plastic strap thingies"? (<-- Sorry don't know what they are called) I think those would look the best IMO. But, hey this is from a guy who is going to cut his springs! LOL:doh:

I was thinking the same thing. Function over form though....

From the pics, I don't see a covering over them. It shouldn't be that hard to get something to cover them however.
Since I have the CAI w/ram air tray right at the front center of the car I thought opening up to force more air will be very functional:nice: