need tire recommendations.. maybe i'm asking for too much?

BigChiefSmokem

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
Well, i need help choosing a 265/35/18 tire... I drive my car for work approximately 50-100 miles about 4 days a week, with a good combination of street and highway driving, so tread wear and ride is important to me (until i get a company car, hopefully by the end of summer). I want a tire that works well in wet and dry weather, and also looks really good to match my 18" chrome bullitt rims. i also drive my car for fun, so grip is important as well and lets just say i drive my car in a "spirited" manner. Can anyone recommend me based on experience a brand of tire that will fit my needs? i've been searching tirerack.com and reading reviews all day, but i dont know what to choose from.. also, and heres the biggy, price is important to me and i dont want to pay more than 180 per tire. any help??

• Sponsors (?)

BigChiefSmokem said:
Well, i need help choosing a 265/35/18 tire... I drive my car for work approximately 50-100 miles about 4 days a week, with a good combination of street and highway driving, so tread wear and ride is important to me (until i get a company car, hopefully by the end of summer). I want a tire that works well in wet and dry weather, and also looks really good to match my 18" chrome bullitt rims. i also drive my car for fun, so grip is important as well and lets just say i drive my car in a "spirited" manner. Can anyone recommend me based on experience a brand of tire that will fit my needs? i've been searching tirerack.com and reading reviews all day, but i dont know what to choose from.. also, and heres the biggy, price is important to me and i dont want to pay more than 180 per tire. any help??
I have had Dunlops, Kumhos, Yokohama's and nitto's the 8 years I have had my mustang. For treadwear, wet handling and grip, I really like the Nitto's. They sell them at tires.com

I've got Kumhos on all 4 corners. Great tire for the money IMO. Tread wear is decent and grip is good around corners and from a dig. Not the best tire in the whole world, but for the money I'm happy.

I have been running BFGoodrich KDWs for a number of years and have been more than happy with them. The KDW stands for "K"ey feature "D"ry and "W"et traction. I got my first set when I had the Contour and am now on my second set with the Mustang. I too commute almost 100 miles a day and I would not hesitate to buy another set.

EDIT:Just noticed on the tirerack for the size you want they are a tad out of the price range you specified. I do believe they are still worth a look though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+KDW

2760dsc00041.jpg

rjstaaf said:
I have been running BFGoodrich KDWs for a number of years and have been more than happy with them. The KDW stands for "K"ey feature "D"ry and "W"et traction. I got my first set when I had the Contour and am now on my second set with the Mustang. I too commute almost 100 miles a day and I would not hesitate to buy another set.

EDIT:Just noticed on the tirerack for the size you want they are a tad out of the price range you specified. I do believe they are still worth a look though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+KDW

2760dsc00041.jpg

Yeh, i've been looking at those too.. they look like a good tire, but a little expensive.. but i'm beginning to believe you get what ou pay for when it comes to tires.

Khumo is the only exception to the price vs quality thing IMO they are pretty good tires and they last a while. Probly the best option for a long commute stang.

If you drag race at all (at the track, I mean) forget the Kumho's. I have Nitto ZR rated tires for the street and I really like them. I had Kumho's in the past but sold them soon after I bought them.

myponyrocks said:
Khumo is the only exception to the price vs quality thing IMO they are pretty good tires and they last a while. Probly the best option for a long commute stang.

Actually, in the size he is looking for 265-35-18 the Khumo Ecsta MX is currently $10 more than the BFG KDW at www.tirerack.com. Not only that but, the KDW is rated higher in dry and wet traction and has a better wear rating at 300 vs the Khumo Ecsta MX wear rating of 220.

I still believe the BFG KDW is an outstanding value when you compare what you get for the money to any of the other tires mentioned.

BigChiefSmokem said:
BFG KDW2's are a great all around tire right now.

wms004 said:
BFG KDW2's are a great all around tire right now.

Looks like the BFG KDW and KDW2's get good recommendations so far, but they're a little out of my price range. I've found a site with some pretty good deals on tires and have found a Falken ZE 512 ZIEX and the Toyo Proxes t1-s. The treadwear is great on the falken, but the traction is not rated as good. anyone have any knowledge of these tires?

Well guys, heres what i decided to go with... i just ordered some 18x9 chrome bullitts from wheel replicas :) and went with 265/35/18 Falken ZE 512 ZIEX High performance all season tires. After readin some reviews and what not, they just seemed right for the price and performance and tread wear.

I have Nitto 555 r's on the front and they have lasted 40,000 plus miles and are just now starting to wear on the edges. They were never rotated either so! Nittos also do exceptionally well in the rain they don't even think about hydroplaning! Great tire for the money