Need To Replace Ld Mac Cai, Mac Shorties & Mac Catted Mid?

OconnB

Sep 23, 2017
I just bought a '90 LX and it has a and older setup (probably from when it was first purchased) of the three MAC products: CAI, shorties, and catted H pipe.

A few questions:
IMG_0765[1].JPG
IMG_1019[1].JPG

1) If i leave the setup as is, is there any maintenance I should be doing to this setup (outside of CAI filter?)
2) The setup is pretty rusty, not corroded (heads mostly), Is this setup just junk?

I was planning on BBK shorties and off road X pipe eventually, but there are other priorities with the car (eletrical & suspensoin).

Attachments

• IMG_1035[1].JPG
    IMG_1035[1].JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1018[1].JPG
    IMG_1018[1].JPG
    582.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Sponsors (?)

If there's no leaks than no maintenance needed (except filter).
H-pipe looks to be in good shape cat-back has some rust but have seen a lot worse, run it!
Since you just bought it do the basics first, change all fluids, inspect brakes, inspect/replace spark plugs,cap,rotor etc.

Reactions: 1 user
mac tend to be on the lower end of quaiity for performance parts but if they are working properly then leave it as it
You do need to replace that open breather element with a closed one as you are sucking in unmetered air
Looks like you also have somewhat of a rear main seal or oil pan leak

Got new oil pan plugs, they were pretty beat up. Also previous owner didnt know about front oil basin.
Open breather = small air filter for oil?

#1 Why do you think someone would have put that breather there?
#2 What should i replace it with?

#3 Down side to unmetered air?