Need your expertise on a possible frankenstang.

andrewVA

Oct 13, 2004
Need your expertise on a possible purchase

I saw an ad in the paper that seems too good to be true, so I thought I would solicit some responses here. The ad reads like this:

1993 Ford Mustang LX, Turbo 4-cyl, Garrett T3 Turbo, under 50k miles
5 spd with phase 2 clutch, runs great, quick car, too many new parts,
$800 obo.

Now, I know there were no 1993 i4 turbo mustangs, so what sort of concerns should I have with a car like this? Im slightly worried that he just bolted up a turbo to the original 4 cylinder block. Im going to call him soon to ask him about it and arrange a meeting, but I wanted to arm myself with any info I can first.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First giveaway would be if it still had the dual spark plugs, MAF, and coil packs. That would tell you it was just a turbo slapped on the original motor. The turbo motors had single plugs and a distributor. Ask which computer is in the car. It should be one of the popular turbo ECU's and not one of the late model NA's

If the car runs good, the body is in decent shape and not rusted out, you'll be practically stealing the car. Even if the body is no good, turbo motor recipients can be found pretty easy and all of the hard work has been done, you'll just need to swap it over. I don't see how you could go wrong for $800.00 if everything is as the owner says.