Engine Neglected FOX

I currently have a 90 GT with a 347. It was running perfect when parked but has been sitting for years. What do I need to do to safely try and start it? I was going to pull some plugs and try to turn it over by hand and also give the gas a smell or drop the tank. Any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

Here is what I’d do.
1. New fuel. Jrichker has posted many times which wire in the diagnostic harness to jump to power the pump and drain it out the schrader valve in the engine bay.

2. inspect all hoses and wires and change oil and filters.

3. Make sure the brakes work!

4. Squirt some oil in the cylinders and turn it over without the plugs and the coil unplugged, and a rag in front of each spark plug hole to pre oil.

5. Put new plugs and wires in, plug in the coil, fire it up.
6. Or 4.5, check timing.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I popped the gas cap and and filler door and smelled a faint smell of gas. My next plan is to drop the tank for inspection or stick in a siphon for a sample. I also pulled a plug which looked new along with checking the oil and that also looked good.

I am surprised no one found something important I missed! Whoo Hoo!
My theory on oil - It’s been a long time since the dinosaurs roamed the Middle East and Pennsylvania became the crude Dinoco bottles up. Popular Mechanics ran a mower for 5? seasons with the original oil then had it tested. The oil passed. It still had enough additives, and was high in one metal they thought from break in.
So IF the oil was fresh when the car was parked, I would mainly worry about rust or external contamination.

But, I do not count on the oil being fresh when parked. Changing the oil and the filter (did the glue, rubber seals, and filter media survive that long?) is a good way to make sure there is no coolant or metal in the oil system. Besides, once it’s running, you’ll have other things to do.

I'd change the oil. I'd probably change all the fluids, but thats just me. Draining the fuel out of the tank using the fuel pump is the easiest way to do it. I hate siphoning gas out of a tank. There is a good chance that it will start if it was running when parked. Why was it parked for that long if nothing was wrong with it. If it doesn't start but will turn over I'd suggest following the cranks but won't start checklist.

Barn car find checklist: first steps to get it back on the road.

First of all, carefully check the underhood area to make sure that rodents haven’t had a feast on the electrical wiring, air ducts and vacuum lines. Replace and repair any visible damage. Replace the battery if you haven’t already done so.

Next, drain ALL the engine fluids, transmission fluid, pump the fuel tank and fuel lines clear.

Get several cans of brake fluid, you will need it to flush the brakes. Loosen all 4 brake bleeders one at a time and flush the brake system by pumping the brake pedal. You will need to bleed the brakes when you finish flushing them. Brake fluid absorbs moisture if it sits for a long time and corrosive compounds start to brew themselves in the brake system.

Pumping out the old gas - do this before replacing the fuel filter if possible;
If the old pump still works, you can use it to pump the tank out.
1.) Separate the pressure line (the one with the Schrader valve on it) using the fuel line tools.
Look in the A/C repair section for the fuel line tools. They look like little plastic top hats. You will need the 1/2" & 5/8" ones. The hat shaped section goes on facing the large part of the coupling. Then you press hard on the brim until it forces the sleeve into the coupling and releases the spring. You may need someone to pull on the line while you press on the coupling.

61yoVRLxcXL._SL1350_.jpg

OR

Twmjj23EpRXMFfHYVG6hYEK53GOKCWWvYG9-LefxImTo50cmW1.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTjYAxvaCs

Use a piece of garden hose to run from the pressure line to your bucket or gas can. Make sure it is as leak proof as you can make it. Fire and explosion are not part of the repair process...

2.) Jumper the fuel pump’s test point to ground.
Foxbody Diagnostic connector

foxbody-mustang-diagnostic-connector-jpg.586766

Foxbody Diagnostic connector close up view[/b]

foxbody-diagnostic-connetor-closeup-view-jpg.586765

attachments\68357

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. the fuel pump will pump the tank almost dry unless the battery runs down first.

Some 5 gallon paint pails lined with garbage bags are good to hold the gas. The garbage bags provide a clean liner for the pails and keep the loose trash out of the gas. If you decide to use a siphon, a piece of 1/2" garden hose stuck down the filler neck will siphon all but a gallon or so of the gas.

The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the car on the body just over the rear axle housing. Pull the plastic clips out by grasping the tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers or a screwdriver.

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JU54w7FL4]

At this point you have fresh engine fluids, fresh gasoline, new filters, new battery fresh brake fluid, and have replaced or repaired any rodent damage.
Then change ALL the filters (fuel, air & oil). Then put in new oil, new antifreeze, and 5 gallons or so of new gasoline. Be sure to replace the all the fan belt or belts. Reusing old belts are an invitation to break and leave you stranded or overheated.

Pull the spark plugs out and squirt some oil down inside the cylinders to lube them up. While the spark plugs are out, examine them for signs of damage or fouling. Write down which plug came from which cylinder and write down any negative things that you saw when you examined the spark plugs.

This next step is for those who have successfully removed and reinstalled a 5.0 Mustang distributor. Pre-oil the engine to insure that everything is lubed up good before the engine starts. Turn the engine up to where the distributor rotor points to #1 cylinder. Mark the distributor base with a scratch mark or something else that isn’t going to get rubbed off. Then remove the distributor and stick a ¼” socket on a12” extension on an electric drill. Place this rig on the oil pump shaft in the hole below the distributor. Turn the ignition switch to Run but don’t crank the engine. Run the drill counterclockwise while your assistant watches the oil pressure gauge.

For the less experienced DIY’er, here is a less complicated procedure.
While the spark plugs are out, crank the engine until you see the oil pressure gauge indicate pressure. If you don’t see any indication of oil pressure at the gauge after 30 seconds or so of cranking, you have some other problems. This is the time to stop and investigate them.

Put the old spark plugs back in if they look good; replace the ones that don’t. Have a spare set of new spark plugs handy for installation once you get the engine running. Why? The oil you squirted in the cylinders will lube things up, but it may also foul the spark plugs. Don’t foul the new plugs by putting them in cylinders that may oil foul the plugs.

Remove the distributor cap, and examine it and the rotor for signs of moisture and tracks. Lightly spray the inside of the distributor cap with WD40 to displace any moisture, and then wipe it up with a clean paper towel. Replace any cap or rotor that shows signs of damage, excessive corrosion or tracking that won’t wipe up with a shot of WD40.

Put the distributor cap back on, secure any loose wiring, vacuum lines, check the fluid levels, check belt tension and tighten any fasteners that you may have loosened. You are now ready to see if the engine will run.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
I'd change the oil. I'd probably change all the fluids, but thats just me. Draining the fuel out of the tank using the fuel pump is the easiest way to do it. I hate siphoning gas out of a tank. There is a good chance that it will start if it was running when parked. Why was it parked for that long if nothing was wrong with it. If it doesn't start but will turn over I'd suggest following the cranks but won't start checklist.
I made some poor choices to make a long story short and now have my stuff together again. I want to get back into my passion which I had with this car.

Barn car find checklist: first steps to get it back on the road.

First of all, carefully check the underhood area to make sure that rodents haven’t had a feast on the electrical wiring, air ducts and vacuum lines. Replace and repair any visible damage. Replace the battery if you haven’t already done so.

Next, drain ALL the engine fluids, transmission fluid, pump the fuel tank and fuel lines clear.

Get several cans of brake fluid, you will need it to flush the brakes. Loosen all 4 brake bleeders one at a time and flush the brake system by pumping the brake pedal. You will need to bleed the brakes when you finish flushing them. Brake fluid absorbs moisture if it sits for a long time and corrosive compounds start to brew themselves in the brake system.

Pumping out the old gas - do this before replacing the fuel filter if possible;
If the old pump still works, you can use it to pump the tank out.
1.) Separate the pressure line (the one with the Schrader valve on it) using the fuel line tools.
Look in the A/C repair section for the fuel line tools. They look like little plastic top hats. You will need the 1/2" & 5/8" ones. The hat shaped section goes on facing the large part of the coupling. Then you press hard on the brim until it forces the sleeve into the coupling and releases the spring. You may need someone to pull on the line while you press on the coupling.

61yoVRLxcXL._SL1350_.jpg

OR

Twmjj23EpRXMFfHYVG6hYEK53GOKCWWvYG9-LefxImTo50cmW1.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTjYAxvaCs

Use a piece of garden hose to run from the pressure line to your bucket or gas can. Make sure it is as leak proof as you can make it. Fire and explosion are not part of the repair process...

2.) Jumper the fuel pump’s test point to ground.
Foxbody Diagnostic connector

?temp_hash=124ae0e661fe7ed48f0bcc9e908d5b73.jpg

Foxbody Diagnostic connector close up view[/b]

?temp_hash=124ae0e661fe7ed48f0bcc9e908d5b73.jpg

attachments\68357

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. the fuel pump will pump the tank almost dry unless the battery runs down first.

Some 5 gallon paint pails lined with garbage bags are good to hold the gas. The garbage bags provide a clean liner for the pails and keep the loose trash out of the gas. If you decide to use a siphon, a piece of 1/2" garden hose stuck down the filler neck will siphon all but a gallon or so of the gas.

The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the car on the body just over the rear axle housing. Pull the plastic clips out by grasping the tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers or a screwdriver.

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JU54w7FL4]

At this point you have fresh engine fluids, fresh gasoline, new filters, new battery fresh brake fluid, and have replaced or repaired any rodent damage.
Then change ALL the filters (fuel, air & oil). Then put in new oil, new antifreeze, and 5 gallons or so of new gasoline. Be sure to replace the all the fan belt or belts. Reusing old belts are an invitation to break and leave you stranded or overheated.

Pull the spark plugs out and squirt some oil down inside the cylinders to lube them up. While the spark plugs are out, examine them for signs of damage or fouling. Write down which plug came from which cylinder and write down any negative things that you saw when you examined the spark plugs.

This next step is for those who have successfully removed and reinstalled a 5.0 Mustang distributor. Pre-oil the engine to insure that everything is lubed up good before the engine starts. Turn the engine up to where the distributor rotor points to #1 cylinder. Mark the distributor base with a scratch mark or something else that isn’t going to get rubbed off. Then remove the distributor and stick a ¼” socket on a12” extension on an electric drill. Place this rig on the oil pump shaft in the hole below the distributor. Turn the ignition switch to Run but don’t crank the engine. Run the drill counterclockwise while your assistant watches the oil pressure gauge.

For the less experienced DIY’er, here is a less complicated procedure.
While the spark plugs are out, crank the engine until you see the oil pressure gauge indicate pressure. If you don’t see any indication of oil pressure at the gauge after 30 seconds or so of cranking, you have some other problems. This is the time to stop and investigate them.

Put the old spark plugs back in if they look good; replace the ones that don’t. Have a spare set of new spark plugs handy for installation once you get the engine running. Why? The oil you squirted in the cylinders will lube things up, but it may also foul the spark plugs. Don’t foul the new plugs by putting them in cylinders that may oil foul the plugs.

Remove the distributor cap, and examine it and the rotor for signs of moisture and tracks. Lightly spray the inside of the distributor cap with WD40 to displace any moisture, and then wipe it up with a clean paper towel. Replace any cap or rotor that shows signs of damage, excessive corrosion or tracking that won’t wipe up with a shot of WD40.

Put the distributor cap back on, secure any loose wiring, vacuum lines, check the fluid levels, check belt tension and tighten any fasteners that you may have loosened. You are now ready to see if the engine will run.

Thank you so much! Going to give it try next day off and post the updates.

I'd dump the tank, clean out the fuel lines, change all the fluids and start it.

If it cranks but doesn't start, bypass the msd before you go any further.

And if you could do me one favor, buff and restore the headlights, they are killing my eyes.
DO NOT throw them out or buy aftermarket ones.

Always nice to hear about someone getting their act together and bringing a car back to running.

I'd dump the tank, clean out the fuel lines, change all the fluids and start it.

If it cranks but doesn't start, bypass the msd before you go any further.

And if you could do me one favor, buff and restore the headlights, they are killing my eyes.
DO NOT throw them out or buy aftermarket ones.

Always nice to hear about someone getting their act together and bringing a car back to running.
Will do and I was planning on replacing them but I take it they don't make factory clones? I def wont throw these away but can they be saved? I never had luck with buffing out headlights they usually look good for a few months then go back to dull.

My next step was going to drop the tank and have a look. If I have to replace it do you guys have recommendations? I heard the replacement tanks are ok and I should keep my original sending unit if it still works cause the ones that come with the aftermarket tank kits suck. Do any of you have any experiences good or bad with LMR or CJPony Parts?

My next step was going to drop the tank and have a look. If I have to replace it do you guys have recommendations? I heard the replacement tanks are ok and I should keep my original sending unit if it still works cause the ones that come with the aftermarket tank kits suck. Do any of you have any experiences good or bad with LMR or CJPony Parts?

Try Rock Auto. You’ll be able to get just about everything, tank included. They also have a thread on here with a discount code.
It will most likely be cheaper than going to the Mustang specific web sites.

Will do and I was planning on replacing them but I take it they don't make factory clones? I def wont throw these away but can they be saved? I never had luck with buffing out headlights they usually look good for a few months then go back to dull.
All, and I mean all, aftermarket headlights are garbage.
You can take the yellow out of them, plenty of good headlight restore kits out there, just be careful around the ford emblems, you can literally sand them off.