new 1993 GT need help identifying issues

moon9398

Sep 29, 2018
new mexico
ok so me and the wife bought our first fox body together. i had one back in high school. its a 1993 GT hatch, with 141xxx miles. got it from a soldier who is leaving the country who did all the mods himself and had receipts or pics of the build the list of mods are as follows

GT40P heads
explorer intake
bbk CAI
full msd 6a with msd distributor and blaster coil
r34a conversion
5 lug conversion
drilled/slotted rotors with cobra break calipers
aluminum drive shaft
stage 2 clutch brand new rebuilt t5 with short throw shift
95 cobra alternator
12" electric fan
3bar mishimoto radiator
93 cobra grille
.373 gears
all on a fresh rebuilt 302 block
so the issues were when i first got it he said timing was set to 13 and i was getting maybe 12 MPG Hhada local mechanic adjust timing he said overall timing he set to 15-16 and im now getting 22mpg hwy which is great and acceptable
he has the clear/smoke lx tail lights on it and i just got pulled over for them not being red any suggestions? do they make red bulbs or do i have to tape them?
also it only runs good with premium gas and that is almost $3.50 here and i would like to run 87 but when i do it surges on idle ??? also i took it on its first long trip about 6 hrs round trip and on the way home the heads lights would randomly shut off and the gauges would flash one time and i had to wait about 30sec-2min to turn the headlights back on for them to just go back out 15-45miles later any suggestions? also any suggestiopns for better MPG as i will be driving this from new mexico to Alabama about 4-6 times a year to visit my daughter not to mention im over 120miles from a walmart and this is my daily.

Attachments

• IMG_20180921_232122_273.jpg
    IMG_20180921_232122_273.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 222
  • FB_IMG_1537587860055.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537587860055.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Sponsors (?)

ok so me and the wife bought our first fox body together. i had one back in high school. its a 1993 GT hatch, with 141xxx miles. got it from a soldier who is leaving the country who did all the mods himself and had receipts or pics of the build the list of mods are as follows

GT40P heads
explorer intake
bbk CAI
full msd 6a with msd distributor and blaster coil
r34a conversion
5 lug conversion
drilled/slotted rotors with cobra break calipers
aluminum drive shaft
stage 2 clutch brand new rebuilt t5 with short throw shift
95 cobra alternator
12" electric fan
3bar mishimoto radiator
93 cobra grille
.373 gears
all on a fresh rebuilt 302 block

so the issues.
1. i refilled the AC and it still doesnt blow cold, its like the compressor doesnt kick on. also the heat doesnt get hot maybe warm but not hot.
2. the headlights cut off the other day on the way home from my first longer trip in the mustang. the headlights were on for about 2 hrs then out of no where headlights & fogs go out and the dash lights flash then off too i stopped on side of road hazards working about two-three times of turning headlights on-off-on-off they came back on to only go back out 25-40 miles down the road again.
3. i have the lx tail lights that are completely clear just got pulled over for it bulbs show white should i get red bulbs or what?
4. i would like to get better MPG im getting maybe 18 hwy

Not sure about your AC without further tests, the headlights are a known issue, I believe the switch is overheating with the extra draw from the fog lights.

Is your EGR system still there and functioning? That will affect mpg. Are there any codes present (even without the CEL on)?

Get new taillight assemblies from LMR.

it was a California car so all smog,maf,egr, ect is all there. and should i be able to just run the headlights without fog and keep it from over heating i really dont wanna re wire anything. and how do i check codes on foxbodys?

1. You're going to have to do some troubleshooting here. I would start by making sure that there is vacuum to the solenoids behind the dash that move the baffles for hot and cold. The AC could be anything to a bad selector switch, pressure switch, wiring, or the compressor clutch.

This site has tons of info and wiring diagrams to help you get started

Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams

2 The headlight issue is more than likely in the switch or harness that connects to to it. GTs are hard on them due to the extra current the fog lights pull. I would pull the switch and check the wiring. LMR sales replacement switches and pigtails for the wiring. Also consider wiring the fogs through a relay.

3. I'm not sure what the state laws are regarding the color of the lenses, but you can get reproduction stock LX taillights very reasonably and I would recommend going that route. Better looks and guaranteed legal.

4. Do a tune up. Distributor cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter. Verify timing is 10-14* with the spout out. Cleck and replace the oxygen sensors if they are damaged or old.
Deal with that BBK Cai. If your MAF is not calibrated for it you will have horrible fuel economy. I would replace it with a stock air box of it was mine.
Make sure you have no vacuum leaks. Even a small one can hurt fuel economy.

1. You're going to have to do some troubleshooting here. I would start by making sure that there is vacuum to the solenoids behind the dash that move the baffles for hot and cold. The AC could be anything to a bad selector switch, pressure switch, wiring, or the compressor clutch.

This site has tons of info and wiring diagrams to help you get started

Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams

2 The headlight issue is more than likely in the switch or harness that connects to to it. GTs are hard on them due to the extra current the fog lights pull. I would pull the switch and check the wiring. LMR sales replacement switches and pigtails for the wiring. Also consider wiring the fogs through a relay.

3. I'm not sure what the state laws are regarding the color of the lenses, but you can get reproduction stock LX taillights very reasonably and I would recommend going that route. Better looks and guaranteed legal.

4. Do a tune up. Distributor cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter. Verify timing is 10-14* with the spout out. Cleck and replace the oxygen sensors if they are damaged or old.
Deal with that BBK Cai. If your MAF is not calibrated for it you will have horrible fuel economy. I would replace it with a stock air box of it was mine.
Make sure you have no vacuum leaks. Even a small one can hurt fuel economy.

thanks for the detailed info. i did not realize the MAF had to be calibrated for the fender cold cai. would running it like a ram air work better? im trying to contact the guy who built this that i bought from so i know a more of what im working with. the guy who re timed it for me used a vacuum gauge and had it right on 15. seemed to help with mpg but can only run premium gas. he also filled my ac for me and said my pressure switch was bad

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

When you dump the codes you may find other problems that are responsible for your poor fuel economy

Max timing for a 5.0 Mustang is 14° with the SPOUT out. If you do set it at 14°, you will need to run 93 octane gasoline unless you resort to some other more expensive magic like octane booster or water/alcohol injection

Putting the distributor back in and setting the timing.

Revised 28-Apr-2018 to add photo & description of the SPOUT connector and SPOUT jumper .

You can forget about anything beyond this point if you don't have access to a timing light. You will never get the timing set right without one.

Note: If you don't have access to a timing light, most of the larger auto parts stores will rent or loan one if you have a credit card or leave a cash deposit.

Putting the distributor back in is fairly simple. Pull #1 sparkplug, put your finger in the sparkplug hole, crank the engine until you feel compression. Then line up the TDC mark on the balancer with the pointer on the engine block.

The distributor starts out with the #1 plug wire lined up at about 12:00 with you facing it. Align the rotor to about 11:00, since it will turn clockwise as it slides into place.

Align the distributor rotor up with the #1 position marked on the cap, slide the distributor down into the block, (you may have to wiggle the rotor slightly to get the gear to engage) and then note where the rotor is pointing.
If it still lines up with #1 position on the cap, install the clamp and bolt. If not, pull it out and turn 1 tooth forwards or backwards and try again. Put the #1 spark plug back in and tighten it down, put the clamp on the distributor, but don't tighten it too much, as you will have to move the distributor to set the timing. Note that there is no such thing as one tooth off on a 5.0 Mustang if you follow the spark plug wire order on the distributor cap. If it doesn't align perfectly with #1 position, you can turn the distributor until it does. The only problem is that if you are too far one way or the other, you can't turn the distributor enough to get the 10-14 degree optimum timing range. If the TFI prevents the distributor from being turned enough to get 14°, there is a simple fix. Pull the distributor out and turn the rotor 1 tooth counterclockwise Don't move the wires from the positions shown on the cap on fuel injected engines!!!! The #1 position cast into the cap MUST have the spark plug wire for #1 cylinder in it. Do it differently and the timing for the fuel injectors will be off. The computer uses the PIP sensor to time injector operation by sensing the wide slot in the PIP sensor shutter wheel. If the injector timing of #1 and the firing of #1 do not occur at the right time, the injector timing for all other cylinders will be affected.

Setting the timing:
Paint the mark on the harmonic balancer with paint -choose 10 degrees BTC or 14 degrees BTC or something else if you have NO2 or other power adder. I try to paint TDC red, 10 degrees BTC white and 14 degrees BTC blue.

10 degrees BTC is towards the drivers side marks.

Note: setting the timing beyond the 10 degree mark will give you a little more low speed acceleration. BUT you will need to run 93 octane to avoid pinging and engine damage. Pinging is very hard to hear at full throttle, so it could be present and you would not hear it.

Simplified diagram of what it looks like. Not all the marks are shown for ease of viewing.

ATC ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '!' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' BTC
---------------- > Direction of Rotation as viewed standing in front of the engine.

The ' is 2 degrees.
The ! is TDC
The ' is 10 degrees BTC
Set the timing 5 marks BTC. Or if you prefer, 5 marks towards the driver's side to get 10 degrees.

To get 14 degrees, set it 7 marks BTC. Or if you prefer, 7 marks towards the driver's side to get 14 degrees.

The paint marks you make are your friends if you do it correctly. They are much easier to see than the marks machined into the harmonic balancer hub.

At this point hook up all the wires, get out the timing light. Connect timing light up to battery & #1 spark plug. Then start the engine.

Remove the SPOUT jumper
?hash=b7aa25fb4ed28609c02557131061b91b.jpg

?hash=b7aa25fb4ed28609c02557131061b91b.jpg

It is the 2 pin rectangular plug on the distributor wiring harness. Only the EFI Mustang engines have a SPOUT. If yours is not EFI, check for a SPOUT: if you don’t find one, skip any instructions regarding the SPOUT. The SPOUT (Spark Out) enables the computer to control the spark advance. When the SPOUT is removed, the ignition timing reverts to the base ignition timing set by either the spark rod inside the distributor or the physical position of the distributor.

Warning: there are only two places the SPOUT should be when you time the engine. The first place is in your pocket while you are setting the timing and the second is back in the harness when you finish. The little bugger is too easy to lose and too hard to find a replacement.
Start engine, loosen distributor hold down with a 1/2" universal socket. Shine the timing light on the marks and turn the distributor until the mark lines up with the edge of the timing pointer. Tighten down the distributor hold down bolt, Replace the SPOUT connector and you are done.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

attachments\51122

SEE Mustang GT Fog Light Fix to fix the foglight problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.

Be careful not to use bulbs rated at more than 55 watt each with the stock fog light wiring. Using oversize bulbs can result in overheating the wiring harness and electrical fires. Definitely do the fog light fix first.

I did mine differently, but I had to build my own wiring harness for the fog lights. This is more trouble than it is worth for most folks. I left all the wiring on the stock light switches in place and used the fog light wiring to power the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground. I have an inline fuse that picks up power from the battery side of the starter solenoid. It is connected to the relay contact. The other relay contact is connected to the new wiring harness I made for the fog lights.

attachments\50532

The advantage of making your own foglight wiring harness is that you can run 100 watt fog light bulbs. The stock wiring harness will not use 100 watt bulbs without overloading and causing a fire.

Unless you are good at electrical wiring, have the skills and tools (crimp tool, soldering gun, heat gun for the heat shrink tubing, etc.) I recommend that you stick with the Corral method.

Technical explanation of why the wiring and switches overheat.
You asked for it...

I= Current
E= Voltage
R= Resistance
W= Watts

Two 55 watt fog lamps =110 watts. Find the current in the circuit
I= W/E
110 watts/14 volts = 7.85 amps for fog lights alone.
Since the lighting circuit supplies headlights, taillights, and parking lights, etc.

56 watts 2 each GE Part # L3156 corner light 28 watts each
90 watts 2 each GE Part # 9004 headlight 45/65 watts each (low beam)
63 watts 2 each GE Part # L194 parking light 31.5 watts each
56 watts 2 each GE Part # L3157 tail light 28 watts each
265 watts Total

Total other exterior lighting current
I=W/E
265 watts/14 volts = 18.92 amps
18.92 amps other exterior lighting current
+ 7.85 amps fog light current
26.77 amps with all exterior lights and fog lights on.

The 12 gauge power feed wire to the exterior lighting switch is rated at 20 amps
6.77 amps excess current

7.85 amps used by fog lights
-6.77 amps excess current
1.08 amps to run the fog lights left if you stay within the 20 amp limit of the wire.
With 1.08 amp of current, the fog lights probably won’t produce any useable light.

Added resistance required to reduce fog light current to permissible 20 amp limit
R=E/I
14 volts/6.77 amps = 2.06 ohms
Resistor wattage
W=EI
14 volts x 6.77 amps = 94.78 watts
You would need a 2 ohm, 100 watt resistor.

Light bulb ratings from http://www.roadparts.com/catalog/section30.pdf
Radio shack resistor catalog - no matches , and no combinations that could be used to make a 100 watt, 2 Ohm resistor.
See RadioShack.com

Ohm’s law – in case you have any questions about my formulas - Ohm's Law Calculators

Yes if it is the stock meter or one that is not calibrated for a Cai the bend in the tubing will throw off the readings. The stock air box flows tons of air and really is the best design for our cars.