New '20 GT, doesn't spin the tires, normal?

jerry beach

Founding Member
May 20, 2002
Ocala,FL
1st gear, let out clutch and roll about 5mph, then floor it. Track mode, launch control off. No wheel spin? What is wrong with this thing? My old 88 notch would have smoked the tires and gone nowhere, and it was close to bone stock. These sure are different. Maybe it is the awesome 235 wide tires...
8797(2).jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Press and hold the traction control button for about 3 seconds.
Thanks, I tried that today. I have forgotten about that feature, advanced trac off. Still doesn't spin the tires flooring it from a slow roll. It does feel like it pulls harder though. Its a PITA to turn off all of this nanny stuff every time you start the car. It goes like hell though!
Pretty cool looking wheels!
Thanks. They are Enkei tuner wheels.

1st gear, let out clutch and roll about 5mph, then floor it. Track mode, launch control off. No wheel spin? What is wrong with this thing? My old 88 notch would have smoked the tires and gone nowhere, and it was close to bone stock. These sure are different. Maybe it is the awesome 235 wide tires...
8797(2).jpeg
Yeah it's kinda weird right? I had several fox 5.0 Mustangs starting with a new '88 GT. First gear, like you said insta-smoke. My manual '18 GT vert just grips unless I dump the clutch from a stand still. The DOHC motors need more rpm's to get into the power. Same deal on my old '99 Cobra and '04 Mach 1 and even my SOHC '03 GT. One thing is for sure, the new ones don't run out of breath when you hit third gear like the fox 5.0 Mustangs did.

Reactions: 1 user
Not like this is a bad thing? Grip is something everyone wants to have.

If it makes you feel any better, i recently drove a new GT500, and even that hooks and goes pretty well without a hint of wheelspin. Of course, i don't want to try it with the traction control system off.

Yeah, that's normal lol. These just hook & go. I have to dump the clutch from a standstill to smoke the tires. Shifting at 7K+ also took some getting used to. Compared to my 88 fox, the S550 feels like a spaceship lol.. completely alien