New clutch cable...need help with adjustments!!

1987Rock

May 2, 2007
Ok, so the clutch cable that was on my car when I bought it finally gave up the ghost (2 miles outside town, forcing me to start it in gear and shift without the clutch all the way home:mad:). So I bought a new one from Summit.

It's a Ford Racing "self adjusting stock replacement". Part # FMS-M-7553-C302.

So I get the old one off and go to put the new on. It's got the threaded end on it with a nut and jam nut at the fork end. So I put it on down there as loose as it will go. Then I go to put the firewall end in and it turns out I can't use it with the BBK firewall adjuster. So I take that off and finish putting the cable in and go back underneath and adjust it so it has about 1/4 inch of play per the instructions.

So now I can drive the car again, but it just doesn't feel right and sometimes it feels like the shifter is clunkier than before. I have a Kind Cobra clutch in it and a Pro 5.0 shifter. And I'm worried about hurting the clutch or prematurely wearing out the cable.

The old one was much stiffer and seemed like it let the shifting be smoother. This one feels more like a stock clutch, but the shifting isn't as smooth.
Anyone else had this problem? Or have any advice for me? :shrug: Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the clutch cable is a little lose, and it isn't fully disengaging the clutch. Just tighten it up a little bit and see how it is. The clamping force on a King Cobra isn't that great, so it's not really going to wear out the cable that much. Peddle effort is always going to be greater with an old clutch cable. These cables tend to bind up a little internally over time, which causes the peddle to feel hard.

Kurt

That's what I figured. The pedal is also vibrating more than it used too. It's not audible, but I can feel it with my foot just touching the pedal. I assume that this is gonna happen with that threaded end on the fork. I'll tighten everything up and see how it goes.