New Comp Cam's in my 2002 GT what Gears do i need?

Yeah, I have a 2002 Mustang GT i have just about all the bolton's on my car,I have 3.73 gears in it right now.I just bought FoxLake Stage 2 Ported Heads and Comp Cam's (XE270AH)Hot Street Cam, 234/[email protected]"/.550 Lift. and also bought a Diablosport Predator Programmer :nice: ,with the programmer im going to extend the Rev. Limiter and other things,but my Question is do i need to go with bigger gears like 4.10 or 4.30 gears. Im going to to need something to get me through the RPM's and something more to get me off the line better. How bad would the 4.30 gears hurt me like gas mileage and such :shrug: I don't know just let me know what you think. Thanks a lot :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have ported heads and my car with the 270s doesn't have enough gear. Your powerband is probably slightly higher than mine as ported heads typically make the best power higher up. I'd go with at least 4.10s and most of the guys at Modular Depot are recommending 4.30s now.

My problem with the 3.73s is that when I shift at the track its like its falling short of the sweet spot of the powercurve and has to catch back up. With 4.10s, I think it would stay closer to where it needs to.

If you're staying N/A I'd recommend at least 4.10's. I've got 4.10's, ported heads VT cams and just about every bolt on short of a blower and I wish I'd gone 4.30's, but I don't drive mine every day, either.

Jay

It really depends on what kind of tire you are going to run. If your going with ET streets or slickes then a 4:10 or 4:30 is cool. If you plan on justrunnng drag radials then a 3:73 is perfect. Cause if you run 4:10's and regular dragradials you may run out of gear.

nickthegenius said:
Their site says 3.55+. My 3.73s with these cams suck, I can't imagine if you went by their site and thought you could get by with 3.55 gears.
:rlaugh: Yeah i saw were they said you will need 3.55+ well i guess you can't go by that :lol: . I E-Mailed a bunch of Speed Shops to see what they thought i should get. I'll ask Dallas Mustang the place thats going to install my parts next week or so.I really want 4.30 gears but you know.That might be a little to much cause i travel a lot on interstate to get back and forth to work,and i figure through town it's going to kill gas mileage. The good thing in that case Red Light to Red Light it's going to be a Bitch to catch up to.I might just go with 4.10's after i install everything. :banana: Thanks Everybody

FrostyGT said:
I know this is off the subject, but what size Injectors are in 99-04 GT's. I thought it was 19lb. but somebody said 24lb. just let me know thanks.

Normally, 19's (yellow/orange), but my friends's came with 22's (pink). Go figure. So if you know someone who came with 24's, I wouldn't call it normal, but I could see it happening. I researched it and found out Ford did (on occasion) substitute.