New deck lid - a bit rusted on the lip

lemosley1973

Doing something with a heavy tranny now
Feb 18, 2019
Clover, SC
I got a new deck lid because I wanted the luggage rack and this one has some rust on the rear lip. I've taken a wire wheel to it and then used some rust converter. Is this good enough to prime, or should I treat it and continue to wire wheel/sand it more? Other suggestions? I'm going to prime it and it will remain like that for a while - a respray is quite a ways off.

Pictures from Driver to Passenger side
20200803_200243.jpg

20200803_200247.jpg

20200803_200251.jpg

20200803_200256.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Which rust converter? The old car guys use Ospho or the less expensive Home Depot product, basically phosphoric acid, then after the rust is converted, neutralize it with water. Then hit it with the wire wheel one more time to get anything left behind, clean it thoroughly and prime with rust inhibitor like POR-15.

Reactions: 1 user
My personal opinion is this. That may not look terrible, but it is in a bad place due to the overlap in the metal. Without doing serious work on that it will always be prone to rust. You can get a new trunk lid for $275 from LMR. If you want the luggage rack you can easily measure and drill and mount the luggage rack to a new lid. It is only held on with rivets.

Chris

Reactions: 5 users
Well this could get a lot more exciting. I'm not afraid to tackle it - I have time and a welder and the worst that could happen is I end up with scrap metal that can be used elsewhere.

How would one take this apart - it looks like it's spot welded in places and I guess drilling those out and then bending the lip back, or is there a better way?

My 2 cents worth.
Get another lid or go through the trouble/time to drill the spot welds separate the two and treat the rust, prime, spot weld it back together, add seam sealer and paint.
I'd get another lid.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I could...but Mustang5l5 and Carmichael Angelo are rubbing off on me.

Why take the easy way when you have the chance to burn yourself with molten blobs of metal, cuss and throw things?

• Hell Yeah!
Like this?

I didn't know they made fiberglass lids. Is there any downside to the fiberglass hatch like it not being as stiff? I know they would weigh less.

There are a few downsides to Fiberglass with regard to the hatch. The biggest problem is that you can't run the struts to hold it up, which if you get into your trunk with any regularity then you probably wouldn't like that. Outside of that, I've been happy with mine in terms of fit and finish. You have to extend your defroster grounds to the body, too, but I don't drive mine in winter so...

I guess I'm a little surprised that the fiberglass trunk didn't catch on more. The hatch is a bigger undertaking with the glass and all that, but it seems like the trunks would just be simple paint and bolt on affairs - but again, I don't own a trunk car so I am not sure.

EDIT: Yes, the link you posted is what I was thinking of - Cervini's makes really good stuff, but I know there are other brands that are good as well.

I hadn't considered this, but now that I found it, will probably go with a glass lid. The trunk isn't as heavy as a hatch and uses a spring mechanism to hold it up, so I don't think it would be a problem.

I had a Cervinis 4" cowl hood that came with the car and I sold it because I don't like cowls, and it was ridiculous on a almost stock car.

I wish there was more information about them, but it just doesn't seem to be that common of a modification. I can tell you that I'm really happy with my fiberglass hatches, but they don't have much in common!

This is the only reason to not use a better piece that I can think of. You are not out much if you want to practice on it.

I do not know how much road salt is used where you are and how much more rust your car has in other panel edges. I suspect the luggage rack feet were letting in water to rot that seam.

Yes I could...but Mustang5l5 and Carmichael Angelo are rubbing off on me.

Why take the easy way when you have the chance to burn yourself with molten blobs of metal, cuss and throw things?

As a hatch owner who went to Fiberglass on both my hatch cars, what is the downside of going to fiberglass on a coupe/convertible?
I wouldn't think there is much of a downside being they are made by Cervini so quality will be pretty good but like any fiberglass part. You'll have to properly prep and paint anyways. On plus side it'll never rust and will shave off a good bit of weight. I'll eventually pick one up for my coupe

As a hatch owner who went to Fiberglass on both my hatch cars, what is the downside of going to fiberglass on a coupe/convertible?
I have a 1986 GT hatchback, and my hatch has enough rust that my painter asked me to find a better hatch before he paints it. So far, I’ve bought three hatches, and there’s something wrong with each of them. Are you happy with the Cervini fiberglass hatch? I just checked, and Cervini is out of stock on this item.

The new trunk lid metal seems a little thin compared to OEM. Fiberglass is nice. I had a factory fiberglass trunk lid on my 89 convertible. The only issue was stress cracks around the hinge mounting points and around the latch area. This took years to happen though. I actually just threw it away. Couldn't find a decent buyer when I moved to the new house. Probably would've been more hassle than it was worth anyway.