New deck lid - a bit rusted on the lip

I have a 1986 GT hatchback, and my hatch has enough rust that my painter asked me to find a better hatch before he paints it. So far, I’ve bought three hatches, and there’s something wrong with each of them. Are you happy with the Cervini fiberglass hatch? I just checked, and Cervini is out of stock on this item.

Unfortunately I can't give you an opinion on the Cervini's hatch, because I don't own one! My hatches came from Design Concepts (who as far as I can tell is no longer in business) and HO Fibertrends. HO Fibertrends is still in business, but I do not see the hatch listed on their website so they may no longer offer it - but then again, it may be worth the phone call. Unfortunately Fiberglass hatches never really caught on with the average mustang owner so it is possibly that they just aren't made at all anymore. I don't know if Cervini's makes them to order or not...

With that said, I actually found my Design concepts hatch on Craigslist. If you can't buy a new one you may be able to keep your eyes out for something used.

Here are a few pictures of my cars. I never really took pictures to "focus" on the hatch alone, but you will get an idea of fitment.

91 GT - HO Fibertrends
91GTLR.jpg
91GTRR.jpg
91GTRR2.jpg
91GTLR2.jpg

93 LX - Design concepts - This one has a fully finished underside. It is a bit heavier than the HO, but not significant for a street car. It is more similar to the Cervini's part as far as I can tell. As an aside, there was a rumor long ago that Design Concepts were cast off Cervini's parts that weren't up to Cervini's standards. I could never verify that, though.

Car is a WIP but they are the best pics I have at the moment.
93LXside1.jpg
93LXside2.jpg
93LXrear1.jpg

Anyway, I didn't really want to hijack the thread, but I guess the takeaway is that Fiberglass parts can look okay if they are finished correctly and care is taken to get them to fit right. Also, I don't own Cervini's hatch, but the ground effects and rear bumper on this car are Cervini's products and I was happy with their fitment.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately I can't give you an opinion on the Cervini's hatch, because I don't own one! My hatches came from Design Concepts (who as far as I can tell is no longer in business) and HO Fibertrends. HO Fibertrends is still in business, but I do not see the hatch listed on their website so they may no longer offer it - but then again, it may be worth the phone call. Unfortunately Fiberglass hatches never really caught on with the average mustang owner so it is possibly that they just aren't made at all anymore. I don't know if Cervini's makes them to order or not...

With that said, I actually found my Design concepts hatch on Craigslist. If you can't buy a new one you may be able to keep your eyes out for something used.

Here are a few pictures of my cars. I never really took pictures to "focus" on the hatch alone, but you will get an idea of fitment.

91 GT - HO Fibertrends
91GTLR.jpg
91GTRR.jpg
91GTRR2.jpg
91GTLR2.jpg

93 LX - Design concepts - This one has a fully finished underside. It is a bit heavier than the HO, but not significant for a street car. It is more similar to the Cervini's part as far as I can tell. As an aside, there was a rumor long ago that Design Concepts were cast off Cervini's parts that weren't up to Cervini's standards. I could never verify that, though.

Car is a WIP but they are the best pics I have at the moment.
93LXside1.jpg
93LXside2.jpg
93LXrear1.jpg

Anyway, I didn't really want to hijack the thread, but I guess the takeaway is that Fiberglass parts can look okay if they are finished correctly and care is taken to get them to fit right. Also, I don't own Cervini's hatch, but the ground effects and rear bumper on this car are Cervini's products and I was happy with their fitment.
91TwighlightGT, thanks for the response! Given my luck with steel hatches, maybe this is an option for my car. One question: Can you use the gas struts on the fiberglass hatches? If not, what do you do to keep them up?

Bill

91TwighlightGT, thanks for the response! Given my luck with steel hatches, maybe this is an option for my car. One question: Can you use the gas struts on the fiberglass hatches? If not, what do you do to keep them up?

Bill

Unfortunately, you can’t use gas struts on them - at least, they don’t recommend it and I wouldn’t take a chance with it. The potential to damage the fiberglass by putting a heavy bending load on the center means that the gas struts are out.

I don’t have anything to hold mine up, although I have considered a prop rod of some sort before. If you are always getting in the trunk you may not prefer the fiberglass option.

Unfortunately, you can’t use gas struts on them - at least, they don’t recommend it and I wouldn’t take a chance with it. The potential to damage the fiberglass by putting a heavy bending load on the center means that the gas struts are out.

I don’t have anything to hold mine up, although I have considered a prop rod of some sort before. If you are always getting in the trunk you may not prefer the fiberglass option.
91TwiglightGT, Do you use standard glass in the fiberglass hatch?

Could the reason the fiberglass trunk lid idea never caught on be that these cars already have a poor front to rear weight bias? Removing weight from the rear would only make that worse?

Just a guess. I actually want to look for a nice OEM trunk lid so I can remove my current lid with the luggage rack. I don't care for it. Never have. I'll keep it in case a future owner wants it though, but just not my taste personally.

Could the reason the fiberglass trunk lid idea never caught on be that these cars already have a poor front to rear weight bias? Removing weight from the rear would only make that worse?

Just a guess. I actually want to look for a nice OEM trunk lid so I can remove my current lid with the luggage rack. I don't care for it. Never have. I'll keep it in case a future owner wants it though, but just not my taste personally.

I guess it could be a perception as to why people didn't really do it. I've weighed all of these things during the course of my build, and switching from a rusty steel hatch to the Design Concepts fiberglass saves 18.6 lbs. Seeing as how there is quite a bit more steel material on the hatch than the trunk lid, I would hazard that you would really only save 5-10 lbs at the most.

To me going to fiberglass was always less about weight and more about having one less part that will rust out.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it could be a perception as to why people didn't really do it. I've weighed all of these things during the course of my build, and switching from a rusty steel hatch to the Design Concepts fiberglass saves 18.6 lbs. Seeing as how there is quite a bit more steel material on the hatch than the trunk lid, I would hazard that you would really only save 5-10 lbs at the most.

To me going to fiberglass was always less about weight and more about having one less part that will rust out.

Yeah no doubt. Honestly with as little as I use my trunk (basically never) its not a bad idea. Something to consider anyway