New DSS 331 block - Does everything else bolt on?

Crimson

Feb 5, 2004
If I were to purchage a DSS 331 pro bullet block and some afr 165's (maybe 185's)... would everything from my current 302 bolt right up? Are any special headers needed with the AFR's? I'm thinking of getting some MAC LT's.
What about things like waterpump... power steering.. A/C ...

Also which heads do you think would be better for a Daily Driven car with a 331. 165's/185's and what would be a good cam for this combo .. keep in mind I will be getting a TwEECer R/T after it all.

And one last question.. if I purchase an intake spacer and taller valve covers, would the EGR tube still reach from the headers to the EGR valve on the intake? has anybody done it?

thank you everybody.

• Sponsors (?)

Get the 185's. You'll be happier in the end.

Everything bolts up. Remember, the only thing that is different in a 331 compared to a 302 is the internals. It's the same block and same design so everything will bolt up just fine.

MAC LT's will work with the 185's.

Be careful with the intake spacer. Depending what manifold you are running, it could cause hood clearance problems.

Joe

okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty sure it was the same except for the internals, but I feel better hearing it from someone else. :)

i have the saleen heat extractor hood from MPS .. is there a way to measure how much hood clearence i've got?

If you're keeping the Cobra manifold, I know for a fact that you can use 1, 3/8" spacer. Spacers only become affective on high horsepower cars, so if I were you, I would not use one at all. If you are keeping the Cobra manifold, I would seriously look into having it ported. Those 185's are going to need all the air they can get and the stock Cobra will not suffice.

Joe

94GTLaserRC said:
Is my Typhoon Intake enough?
If I eventually ditch the Vortech and get a 331, I want to change as little else as possible.

RC
That should be plenty assuming you aren't looking for anything radical. The RPM or RPM II is optimal for a mild 331, and since the Typhoon is (basically) the same thing, you should be fine.

Joe