new engine ticking noise from passenger side cover

Scottybronco

Jan 16, 2019
Bc
hey guys I'm having some issue with a new engine build its a 5.0l with performance world aluminum heads adjustable.guideplated and a xe270 cam
I've got what sounds like a lifter tick I've run it with the valve covers off to eliminate that... I removed the intake to check the lifters because it echoes through the intake with a stethascope I found the lifters all scraped ... I'm wondering if this is my noise... I've also been told guide plates cause noise... there are marks on the hardened pushrod where they are rubbing any help would be appriciate
20190522_124256.jpg
20190430_193509.jpg
20190522_124251.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looking that that scarring it almost looks like the lifters are starving for oil. It that's the case they wouldn't pump up fully and the valve train would be loud. It also looks like some of your rockers are not centered on the valve stems. I would see if you can adjust those to get them better centered.

Can you put it back together and use a drill to turn the oil pump and verify you are getting good oil flow through the push rods to the rocker arms?

Reactions: 1 user
sorry the picture where they are not centered is an old one.. I since have goten adjustable guide plates.. as for old pressure I have run the car without a valve cover and oil comes up and out of all the rockers arms in also checked with a wire the passenger side press fit plug. to make sure it was still there and it was.. the oil pressure was still a bit low on the guage maybe just around half I thought inwould be higher on a new engine.... also all the lifters did pump up