New engine tuning - how to stop popping out carb?

C0V3R

Feb 14, 2003
Australia
Got it somewhere along the lines of broken in now. Had to readjust the valves after the oil pressure came up and filled up the lifters. Got the timing around about right with the timing light. I really need to install a proper timing indicator on the timing cover.

Had a few troubles with it popping out the carb initially, seemed that the carb idle screws were way too rich (with the higher fuel pressure) as the plugs were pitch black and wet with petrol. Got that semi sorted and was able to get to the point where I could free rev it (with the occasional smaller pop out the carb) for long enough to do a break in.

Held it between 2 and 3k with occaisional trips up to 4 and 5k. Sounded very nice minus the pops. I'm sure the neighbours loved me for doing it. The twin ICE 12in thermos cut in and out nicely cooling it down noticably when the were on.

It shut down with a bit of a clunky/dieseling sound and a pop. I assume its still either running too rich or too advanced - haven't pulled the plugs yet as I dont feel like burning my hands tonight - you guys got any ideas?

Specs:
- 5.0 roller block
- TFS TW heads
- TFS Stage 1 cam
- Weiand 7515 single plane
- Edelbrock 1406 600cfm
- Ceramic coated tri-ys
- MSD ignition

For those of you who just want to see pics:
img_5428.jpg

Attachments

• img_5428.jpg
    img_5428.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Sponsors (?)

Does it idle on it's own, or just run at 2k rpm?

Double check your timing. My car was doing that upon first startup just after the electric pump conversion. I lightly tighten the distributor down to allow me to move it while it was running. I advanced it a bit and it smoothed right down and will now idle.

I figured since you were over in Australia I would see a big old Funnel Web intake on that 302..... That way you could really "wring it's neck". You should know what that means since your an Aussie......

Looks good, sounds like a timing issue if it's popping through the carb..

Applejack said:
Does it idle on it's own, or just run at 2k rpm?

Double check your timing. My car was doing that upon first startup just after the electric pump conversion. I lightly tighten the distributor down to allow me to move it while it was running. I advanced it a bit and it smoothed right down and will now idle.

It does idle on its own now at 800rpm to start with when cold and then it seems to settle at 1100 for some reason.

I have just installed an electric pump too so perhaps its fuel pressure related. My pressure gauge is shot from when it initially ran at too high a pressure so I cant see what I am running.

washMO66 said:
I figured since you were over in Australia I would see a big old Funnel Web intake on that 302..... That way you could really "wring it's neck". You should know what that means since your an Aussie......

Looks good, sounds like a timing issue if it's popping through the carb..

I don't know if they make one for windsors - I think they're more aimed at clevo's. Theyre supposed to be very good though.

Got a new fuel pump (76gph 3-6psi) and pressure gauge today. Swapped them on and set the fuel pressure to 3.5 psi.

Bumped the advance up some more (from 10 to 15 degrees)

Popping out of the carb is now gone but I still have a little popping out the exhaust at 3-5k. I am thinking maybe I need a new coil. Sounds almost like its missing and the catching in the mufflers or pipes, a little like the v8s when they back off the throttle, but for a much shorter time.