New Guy - 88 LX 5.0 Project

CrankyPsycho

Mar 31, 2011
Hey everyone, just signed up a few weeks back and back in the game. I had a 02 GT a while back and lost my job in 05, so had to let it go and downsize to one economy car. But I just bought a 88 LX Hatchback 5.0, 48k original documented miles. Prior owner bought it and just didn't have the time or means to fix it. The original owner went off the road and hit the lower driver side underneath and caused a slight tweak on the frame rails. So it will need straightened out, but already have a few shops getting me a price and they both said it wasn't bad at all. After that is done, I'll be doing the rest with cleaning it up and restoring it back to like new.

This project will take some time, but this car is bone stock and was clean all over, underneath, etc. I'll keep you posted as I plan to start this summer with the outside and doing the repaint and fix molding, stripping, etc.

Project.jpg

Project 2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, that is what I've heard. Its original Regatta Blue on Regatta Blue. I saw they only did 1300 Regatta Blue exteriors in 88. Wonder how many were matched with Regatta Blue interior. Mine also has a sunroof and its a automatic. Wish it was 5 speed, but I'll make it fast enough to enjoy without that down the road :)

I'm not too sure yet on performance. My goal is to start the exterior and fixed the little bit of front end damage this summer. So then everything is straight and mint on the outside. I already have the parts, new set of headlights and all the weather stripping and what not I need. After that is done, I'm restoring the interior. Definitely need to upgrade the stereo as it has the original cassette player in it, lol. I do know I want to go with Pony R rims, then after all that, I'll start upgrading the engine. I'm kinda keeping a eye out for deals and steals on a little bit of everything. So I might do a few things under the hood early depending on if I found something I couldn't pass up. But I'm going to keep the car the original color, both outside and inside. Except I'm taking the black molding with the stripe off and buying new to paint the same color.

Just got a estimate for the front end. To pull the car back, slight tweak on the frame rails, install new aprons, core support......$800. Buddy of mine, so I'm sure I got the friend discount, but he is preppin it for me so I have a better slate to start sanding it down and smooth the whole car out and replace all the stripping, molding, etc.... and repaint. Should be getting started soon.

Yea, its a guy I went to school with and he has been doing cars since high school. He started his own business and it boomed. He has a nice shop and has done some amazing cars and motorcycles. Several have been featured in magazines and what not and won many awards. Luckily I've known him since we were kids, lol.

So it will get done right, then my father retired from a local fire truck manufacturing company. So we are doing all the body work and paint. He has done the same including working on my cousins national winning show car, old Starliner. He took best overall at the good guys nationals. So when my car is done, it will be better then new. So I've lucked out and I'm blessed for sure :)