New Guy, New Car, Just Sayin' Howdy

I didn't run the '15 at all yesterday. There was a bunch of class racing going on 6.50, 7.50, real street, etc, and in between those we were tuning on the '88.

The weather was fantastic yesterday......sorry, just had to rub a little salt in the wound. ;-)

I ran the '15 last weekend and it was hopping pretty bad. After I watched the video a few times I think it was more a traction issue than it was the suspension, as I really didn't see the exhaust jumping around independently of the body, like it does when the subframe is moving around. From thrashing on it on the street, the wheel hop IS much improved / non-existent compared to when I bought it and before I did the bushing kit.

But, I wanna put some decent tires on it before I put it on the track again. No point in having line lock on tires that don't respond positively to heat or having launch control at an RPM that the tires can't hold.

Worst part of it all was the day ended VERY badly.....a guy from out of town wrecked HARD and had to be life flighted out. Wrecked a car fast enough to need a cage and DIDN'T have one......

37B41B6D-F637-4162-83E1-845D3379C9A1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

From what I've heard, he suffered two broken legs and some SERIOUS bruising. Considering you can't even make out the car other than the impressions on the bunper, I'd say he was a lucky SOB.

Everybody wants to go fast, but nobody likes putting the safety stuff in the car....

From what I've heard, he suffered two broken legs and some SERIOUS bruising. Considering you can't even make out the car other than the impressions on the bunper, I'd say he was a lucky SOB.

Everybody wants to go fast, but nobody likes putting the safety stuff in the car....

True statement right there. Some things never change. Back in '86 when my 1971 SS454 (bored to 468ci) Chevelle finally broke into the 10's (10.76) after many mods, I decided I was done when all the safety equipment became mandatory. I couldn't afford to play smart, so I decided to sell it to someone that could. Saw too damn many bad accidents from people skirting around the rules back then. It was damn satisfying to see the naturally aspirated engine I built go even faster.

I just don't get folks that want to go that fast and refuse to put in even the most rudimentary safety equipment. It's always the same excuse....."It's my street car...." While I certainly don't like having a full cage in a daily, as it's completely unsafe without 5-points and a helmet, you have to decide what the car is really gonna be. Is it my driver, my weekend play toy, or is it a trailer queen.

The biggest problem we have here is all of the tracks are basically outlaw tracks. I can probably count on one hand the times I've actually been "tech'd" at a track. Usually it's pay the fee and let it be.

Kind of the way it used to be everywhere. Got a lot of nice tracks closed down too. I know it's a PIA to have the tech rules, but like you know it keeps everybody a bit more safe. Hopefully the gent that had the accident did not involve anyone else. Glad to hear the feller wasn't hurt more seriously. That'll ruin your weekend in a hurry.

Even if there was some rudimentary tech inspection it would go a long way. Some of the crap you see going down the track just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I'm certainly not a fan of EVERY single NHRA / IHRA rule, but there are just some basic things you HAVE to do if you're gonna go that fast.

I've had guys laugh at the cage in the truck, thinking because it's a big, full frame vehicle that it doesn't really need it. They don't seem to understand that a full frame does no good when something that weighs 7200 lbs, makes 1551 hp, and goes 142 mph in the 1/4 ends up on the roof or plows the wall. All it takes is a small coolant leak or the guy ahead of you to drop a little oil and you're eatin' concrete.

When you have something that can get squirrely like this.....

BigHit.jpg

It's nice knowing you have this.....

C60F4F83-44D2-47D9-86FF-83C56A178C7B-9678-00000B6F1ADB2480_zps9ab8a0c6.jpg

I've had this thing knock the tires off 300' down the track. When all 4 tires fo up in smoke like that, it's like a bad performance of Big Trucks on Ice.

Agreed. Years ago, probably early 80's, saw a dude with a nice Chevelle that had a M22 Muncie "Rock Crusher" 4 speed, a blown 454 and NO safety straps or blanket over the bell housing have his clutch and pressure plate grenade. Dude lost his legs. Car literally looked like a grenade went off and tried to tear it in half at the fire wall. Small time local quarter mile track. No real Tech inspection to speak of.

Things happen real fast when you push big power. People get cocky just because nothing HAS happened to them.....YET.

Push the boundaries long enough and you WILL be on the receiving end of a bad experience. If you deliberately avoid doing the safety stuff, you're just bringing pain on yourself.

Bottom line... Sh it happens! My car nosed into the wall at 150mph 2 years ago while my buddy was driving. Other than his pride being hurt, he didn't have a scratch on him! I put a front clip on the car and it was back out on the track in 2 months. This guy just had a blatant disrespect for his own safety, these are they type of people I do not want in the lane next to me. I'm on the up and up when it comes to safety, I expect my opposition to be the same. This is why N/T and grudge racing bugs me i guess. Want to see under the hood, I'm game. Isn't this supposed to be fun anyway?

Reactions: 1 users
I like the grudge racing and N/T stuff, but the track officials still know the times. You break into those sub-7 1/8th or sub-10 1/4, you better be rockin' a cage.

What I don't like are these "street" car races. Slicks, nitrous, multiple power adders.......and NO CAGE. That's just dumb. Unfortunately, that's a lot of mentality down here.

At my local track, they have 2 list races. One is the daily drivers, 7 second break-out and no cages. Meant to be true daily drivers. The other list though is the "cage car" list.....sub-7 second cars....BUT CAGE IS NOT REQUIRED. All of us that actually run called complete BS on that, but it was all about getting money in the gate with more cars.

And I agree with ya......it's supposed to be fun, some folks forget about that. I'll open the hood and show anybody what's going on.....especially on the truck....most guys at the track don't have a clue what they're looking at with that thing. Most don't even believe ya when you say it's a 6-cylinder. lol

65CA2516-E8F5-42FE-BF0B-12B8245042E0.jpg

Last edited: