new h pipe installed...exhaust leak?

kingc

Nov 25, 2006
Spring/Houston, TX
I posted this on another forum earlier so if you've already read it sorry to waste your time...but thanks for your interest

I had my new h pipe and cat bk bolted up and welded in place this weekend, and sounds sweeettt! But, it feels like I actually lost some power. I have noticed already that I shift much sooner especially at night in the neihborhood, you know. I have also noticed that with the windows up and some foot in the pedal I can hear a distinct ticking coming from the passenger floor board. I'm thinking that the gasket provided that manifold/mid pipe joint is not seated correctly.

What do you think. BTW right now the WMS, Pro M and tb are off the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Its more than likely the flange gasket on the passenger side. When I put my X pipe on the car had right under 100k miles on it. When I removed the stock H pipe the gasket broke. I didnt know this, and I put the X pipe on and fired up the car. It sounded good untill I revved it, and then it sounded like a dump truck. Massive leak at the flange where the midpipe meets with the manifolds.

Yours is probaly leaking there, just not as bad. Especially if you hear it from the passengers side.

A new flange gasket is like $5-6 or so.

If you used a new gasket, then possibly the pipe wasnt tightened enough? Or possibly its leaking where it meets the catback.

As far as the power loss, you shouldnt notice a loss. Did you get a catted h pipe, or catless h pipe? If you went catless the power band has been moved up in the RPM's, so you will need to rev the car a little higher to hit the power band as compared to the stock exhaust setup.

My X pipe isnt sealing 100% on the drivers side manifold, I only hear it when the engine is under load and I give it some gas.

Hopefully that helped you out.

As said above, regarding the "loss of power" feeling, it's not that you lost, it's that your torque curve changed.. and is higher up in the RPM range now. Remember, what you feel by the seat of your pants is torque, not hp, but if you put it on a dyno, I guarantee you its there.

I added the one that MRT provided, a few others elswhere have said that the gasket supplied is usually crap.

Ive heard that too. I dont know if there is any truth to it, but I bought my X pipe used... so it didnt come with one. I tried Ford, but they didnt have any in stock so I bought one from Advance Auto and it works fine.