New here!

I am not a mechanic by any means but have recently acquired a 2002 Mustang V6 that runs and drives for just $500 but needs a bit of work, mainly cosmetic. I'm slowly learning. I just recently purchased a new cowl grille as this one is busted on both sides. I'm planning on purchasing a spoiler eventually, as well as eventually painting. Any advice on cheap fixes/mods I can do right off? Also, Will I need to install a new rear bumper or can the damage shown below be repaired? I realize it's missing a radiator cover. Thanks in advance!

front.jpg

rear -nolicense.jpg

rear-close.jpg

passenger-rear-fender-close.jpg

20200806_075902.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Pressure wash and clean everything inside and out.

Change [all] the fluids
Inspect and replace every rubber hose under the hood that looks the least bit suspect
Turn the rotors and install new brake pads
Replace the Serpentine belt
Replace the fuel pump and filter
Take that crap off of the wheels wells (it doesn't belong there)
Order some Dr. Color Chip to use while you figure out how to address the bodywork
New wipers
New Gas Cap
Check your spring isolators
Consider replacing all shocks with OEM replacements (particularly, if the bushings look shot or they leak)
Check to see if the A/C blows cold and all of the speakers work
Check suspension spring isolators and ensure they are not rotted

Reactions: 1 users
How about a small addition or two to the good list?
Before power washing under the hood, at least cover the alternator with plastic. Have WD-40 and paper towels if the plug boots leak and ground out when you try to start it. It stinks to get stuck at the car wash after power washing everything.

Reactions: 1 user
How about a small addition or two to the good list?
Before power washing under the hood, at least cover the alternator with plastic. Have WD-40 and paper towels if the plug boots leak and ground out when you try to start it. It stinks to get stuck at the car wash after power washing everything.

I had not considered the possibility of power washing anywhere but the driveway while he is clearly in a wash stall. :lol:

Good point. LoL

Looking at the engine bay pic, I see the cable ends have been replaced with the clamp on ones. To maintain good connectivity, corrosion must be avoided. I would take them off, clean the posts, the wire ends, and all parts of the clamps. Then spray all the metal parts with battery anti corrosion spray (red stuff). A small can will be enough to keep batteries on multiple cars for years or until you loose the can.
New cables are preferred, but If the other end is good, this will keep the electrons flowing for a long time.

I got stuck at a car wash after washing the MIL’s K car. It needed new wires, plugs, a cap and rotor anyway. Water in the plug boots and distributor was the only thing that could kill that car.
I’m too cheap to buy a power washer. I bet I have spent plenty of quarters at car washes to have bought a small power washer years ago.