New member, old 78 cobra owner

AkronCobra

Jul 3, 2005
Hi guys! New to the site. I own a 78 cobra which I plan on doing some work on. Need some direction on parts and info. Its a V8-4 speed car w/ t-tops. Ive owned it since 1986. The engine was rebuilt in 1993 and has maybe 500 miles on it since. Its a 40 over early 302 W/ported 289 heads@chevy valves. It has the old solid lifter SVO cam 512/536 lift 238/248 duration. The problem Im having is a slipping clutch and lousy transmission. What would I need to do to put a healthy c-4 w/stall into it? Would any other STRONG manuals fit in that car? Any responses are appreciated. I live in Akron Ohio if anyone wants to shoot the s....

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard about a lot of beat-up four-speeds, mine included. I was looking at rebuilding mine after I found a kit on eBay. I live up in the Mentor/Painsville area.

Always kinda wondered how well a Toploader would fit in a II?

A T-5 or the alike would be about the only sutible subs for your RAD at this point. If you're not in dire need to row gears, the C4 swap is really simple and alot more reliable than that RAD ever will be. :nice:

Thanks for responses guys. I dont think an older toploader would fit because it uses a side shift design shifter. It would be an ideal replacement if it didnt require major modifacations. Im starting to think the c4 swap is the only way to go.