new member, question

baxsom

Apr 1, 2008
Hi,

new member here and i have been looking all over the internet for a question that i cant seem to get a definite answer to.

a little background info on the car.

it is a 68 C code 289 that has been converted to a 4bbl.
it is an edelbrock 500cfm carb and performer intake.
comp cams xe256 cam kit. here are the specs on the cam
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-K31-234-3&autoview=sku

it also has flowtech long tube headers.

my question is about heads. I found a set of gt40s in the junkyard off of a 96 explorer. i have taken a look at them and they definitely have the GT and the three bars stamped in them so they are not the gt40ps.

My question is what do I need to do to make these work. I have looked all over the internet and I have found everything from just bolt them on the way they sit with te gt40 springs and rocker arms to i need to change out the springs and I can keep the rockers to i have to change springs, rockers, valve covers everything.

will something that has already done the swap tell me what they used and what they did?

thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Any time you change engine parts for performance gains, you should check all your clearances. In this case, the "heads" will bolt straight on. When you changed the cam, did you get the whole kit, or did you just change the cam?
If you used the whole kit, then you should use all the parts from the kit in particular the springs. You "should" be able to use the same push rods, However, when you change parts, you need to verify. So you will want to verify the wear pattern across the tops of your valve stems. Because you have changed the lift of cam, the 'stroke' of the valve in the head has changed, and so has all the valvetrain geomoetry.
So, the heads will bolt on, but if you have all the parts from the K-kit, you will want to use all those parts, especially the springs.
You should double check your push rod length, and sweep across the valve stem.
and, see my disclaimer below.