New mspnp for my 94 gt....have some basic ?'s

94tang

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
East TN
Ok, so setting base timing with factory ecu, you pull the "pill", rotate the dizzy to 14* ( for 93 octane) tighten dizzy, reinstall pill...how do you do this with ms/ts......everything ive read so far (had the pnp for a week now) says to use trigger wizard and set it to 20.....so the base timing is set to 20 $@%!&# degrees?!!!!...

Im confused....the car runs and drives, just not great

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked at the instruction manual? Or read the tool tip?

Timing is set using 'fixed timing' instead of 'use table' you get to specify the amount of timing in the fixed timing box.
Then bring up the trigger wizard and use the wizard to adjust the offset until what's in the big box on the wizard matches what the balancer reads. You will not remove the spout 'pill' during this process.

When everything matches close the wizard set the instruction back to 'use table' and save the tune. Now your distributor is synced.

So i followed the instructions for "setting timing"....everything matched up with the MS....which is not what i was wanting to see. Below 2500rpms the car runs ok(still have some fine tuning to do), above say 3000rpms, the car bucks and sputters, backfiring through the exhaust sometimes. I drove around today and kept backing off timing till everthing smoothed out. What i ended up with was a table that looks way retarded (timing wise) but the car runs better. I was hoping i done something wrong and the timing was actually higher than what the table was showing but that it is not the case.The engine is a5.0L " standard" GT40 setup( GT40 heads, intake, with aftermarket cam) running 93 octane. With the factory eec iv it put down 275rwhp, 315 torque. I even thought at one point my MSD box (6AL Digital) may have been the issue, but i unhooked it and the problem got worse.

Uh what was the fuel like? What did the wideband read? Bucking is caused by fuel issues 99.99% of the time, not timing.

much less timing reduces the power output of the engine thus reducing the required amount of fuel, this does not make it right however. do you have a datalog of the drive?? without seeing what the car was doing i cannot give direct advice.

Ok, so setting base timing with factory ecu, you pull the "pill", rotate the dizzy to 14* ( for 93 octane) tighten dizzy, reinstall pill...how do you do this with ms/ts......everything ive read so far (had the pnp for a week now) says to use trigger wizard and set it to 20.....so the base timing is set to 20 $@%!&# degrees?!!!!...

Im confused....the car runs and drives, just not great
Either way will work. Removing the distributor SPOUT (pill) locks the timing to whatever you rotate it to using a timing light. After you reinsert the pill, you can use the trigger wizard to verify or modify without the use of a timing light.

Reactions: 1 user
Uh what was the fuel like? What did the wideband read? Bucking is caused by fuel issues 99.99% of the time, not timing.

much less timing reduces the power output of the engine thus reducing the required amount of fuel, this does not make it right however. do you have a datalog of the drive?? without seeing what the car was doing i cannot give direct advice.

Bucking was probably the wrong term....sputtering is prob closer.....afr was right around target 13.5

I would gladly get a datalog for you, if i knew how......im very new to all this

Either way will work. Removing the distributor SPOUT (pill) locks the timing to whatever you rotate it to using a timing light. After you reinsert the pill, you can use the trigger wizard to verify or modify without the use of a timing light.

Tried pulling the SPOUT just to see what would happen and the car died.....

I hooked all the factory stuff back up and reset the timing to 10* BTDC. I then reinstalled the MS and using the trigger wizard ONLY and fixed timing, i reset the base timing. What i ended up with was an offset of 52* using the trigger wizard. My timing tables look normal now and the car runs pretty good, although i still have fuel trims to adjust.

Ok the setting needs to watch the AC input set as either high (12v) or low (ground) it comes I to the ECU as a 12v signal so we can start with high.
I built my own ECU so my wiring internally is different from yours. You may need to see if there is an AC idle up 'jumper' you need to move.

Ok the setting needs to watch the AC input set as either high (12v) or low (ground) it comes I to the ECU as a 12v signal so we can start with high.
I built my own ECU so my wiring internally is different from yours. You may need to see if there is an AC idle up 'jumper' you need to move.

Pretty sure my MSPNP is a sealed case