New Project

damacman

Aug 12, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Been a long time since I dropped by . . . the 'stang hasn't changed - I've just been driving and enjoying it. Several months ago, I embarked on a new project - a 1972 Olds' Cutlass S. It's got a freshly built .030 over four bolt main 454 with TRW 8.5:1 blower pistons, GM Hi-Perf Rectangular Port heads, Comp Cams hydraulic cam, Crane valvetrain w/rocker girdles, Weiand 6-71 blower, dual Edelbrock 600s, MSD distributor and 6-BTM box, etc. The exhaust includes a pair of Hooker Super Comp 2 1/8" primary headers with 3.5" collectors, custom 3" tubing to the rear, and Flowmaster 40s (Yep, it passed emissions . . . !) The Trans is a built TH-400 with a Hughes reverse manual valve body, a 3,000 rpm stall, and trans-brake. The rear end is a narrowed ford 9-inch with a 9 Plus third member, Moser 35 spline spool and axles, and Yukon 4.30 gears. The car has been back-halved, has an 8 point cage, and fiberglass front end and hood. It sits on 15 x 7" Weld ProStars up front and 15 x 17" ProStars in the rear with 31.75 tall, 21" wide Pro Trac tires.

The guys at Ron Fassl motors in Scottsdale built the motor and rear end and they did an incredible job. I'm currently breaking in the motor, so we've got a tune in it that is a little on the rich side and the blower is 12% underdriven. It's a . . . handfull . . . of course the pavement is still cold right now. We're estimating power in the 750 hp range with the blower spinning 1:1.

I thought you guys might like to see some pics . . . and by the way, hotmustang331, I thought you'd have gotten those hair dryers installed by now!

Attachments

• Olds_smallside.jpg
    Olds_smallside.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Olds_smallmotor.jpg
    Olds_smallmotor.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 70
  • Sponsors (?)

The 'stang runs 12s and has plenty of power - but, the olds' has power like I've never felt under my foot . . . ever! I won't begin to guess at E.T.s, as I'm nowhere near ready to take this to the track. I'm bettin' it weighs closer to 3,000 pounds than it does to 3,500 pounds though . . .

Update: Motor has about 1,300 miles on it and the rings seem to be seating nicely. I changed the pulleys so that the blower is now 6% underdriven. It makes 10 pounds of boost at WOT. It's . . . FAST!

I haven't been to the track yet as I'm not ready to break it. Plus, it's getting hot here now with 100 degree days. Maybe this fall . . . in the meantime, I've been having a blast driving it on the street. Number one question . . . "Dude, is that thing street legal?"