Engine New Rear Main Seal leaks

Just got my 1985 302 HO back running after pulling the tranny to replace the rear main seal Fel Pro seal BS40620 and repair sleeve 16250. The first time I start it and it’s leaking worse than before the repair. Any thoughts? If I have to go through all of this again, I want to make sure it’s right.

• Sponsors (?)

No not thread locker, sealer. The crank bolt holes go threw and need to be sealed,ask me how I know.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_171703.jpg
    IMG_20200923_171703.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 118
My first time I did the same, and you see where that got me. I was to lazy to do it over and drove 100,000 miles before replacing the clutch again and then I did it right.

This thread scares me. Did the same thing, but I did 3 things differently, Ford seal, Wurth gray RTV on flywheel bolts, and loctite under the repair sleeve. I still have not yet started the car (I had engine out, slowly getting things back together). Did smoke the engine, looking for leaks, did not seem to be any from the rear main. Fingers crossed.

This thread scares me. Did the same thing, but I did 3 things differently, Ford seal, Wurth gray RTV on flywheel bolts, and loctite under the repair sleeve. I still have not yet started the car (I had engine out, slowly getting things back together). Did smoke the engine, looking for leaks, did not seem to be any from the rear main. Fingers crossed.
I feel you. I will be going down this journey myself soon and have always understood that "rear mains will always leak".. lol. Every 5.0/5.8 I've had leaked. Would be nice to find a solution that gives us our best chance.

I'm subbing. I plan on replacing my leaky rear main seal along with a new clutch. Do you guys have part numbers for what you used?

There should be a write up on this with detailed pictures if there is a solution.

I feel you. I will be going down this journey myself soon and have always understood that "rear mains will always leak".. lol. Every 5.0/5.8 I've had leaked. Would be nice to find a solution that gives us our best chance.
Im only a few days from starting it, I hope. The crank was perfect, car only has 8k miles, but used the sleeve anyway.

BTW how are the 00R tanks coming along (yes Im the same guy that has been asking elsewhere, ha ha)?

I thought I had the part numbers in my progress thread, but I looked it up.

for the rear main, there are a few. Pull up Rockauto and there are 10 or so to pick from. The Ford one is M-6701-B302.

install varies. I rear that the PTFE ones should be installed dry, and not with a sleeve. So if you run a sleeve you may want to get the rubber one.

I used the fel pro sleeve. I think it’s Felpro 16250 and their install tool. The tool is listed on the package for the sleeve, so I don’t recall what it is now.

as to why I sleeved it? Well this was how my 100k mile crank looked. You can see the groove, but really can’t feel it. I did a RMS 3k miles ago and it leaked. This time around I inspected closer and saw the groove. Hope the sleeve and new seal work

picture looks way worse than it was. There was nothing you could feel with finger.
102F343A-25CF-4C2C-8EBB-50137DA71B9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Im only a few days from starting it, I hope. The crank was perfect, car only has 8k miles, but used the sleeve anyway.

BTW how are the 00R tanks coming along (yes Im the same guy that has been asking elsewhere, ha ha)?

If you succesfully resolve the leak please do a write up of exactly what you used/did please. Too many posts with "I think I did this, I believe the part number is this" lol. We need confidence and specifics :)

No tank updates are expected for many months unfortunately. It's been a mess between COVID delays, NASCAR priorities and now the fabricator has a family member ill. They are legitimate reasons for a delay, but it still sucks.

You need to get the skew number off his plumbing device. He will chime in he must of got it at Home Depot. Just for the record. When I changed my clutch I put on a Felpro teflon seal , and the sob leaked right away. Now, besides my clutch slipping and my car smelling with oil on the exhaust. I need to do this sooner, or later.