Engine New Rear Main Seal leaks

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone used any type of sealant around the outer seal lip? Turns out my new seal was leaking along the bottom outer lip.
Yes. Ran RTV around the lip and pressed it in. I went through probably 3 RMS that all leaked, this last time with thread seller, not loctite, on flywheel bolts and rtv around the RMS lip, so far no leaks!

(Newer motor, crack looked fine so I didn't use a sleeve)

Oh..and my install tool. Lines up perfectly

8E075AC2-5355-4746-89F7-F0978CEB9078.jpeg
I have a transmission seal driver that looks just like that, only smaller!

Reactions: 1 user
My car is also leaking through the bolt holes. I followed the directions with the new ARP flywheel bolts and used loctite on the threads and the supplied grease on the bolt head to ensure proper torque. :cautious:

My car is also leaking through the bolt holes. I followed the directions with the new ARP flywheel bolts and used loctite on the threads and the supplied grease on the bolt head to ensure proper torque. :cautious:

It's leaking because those bolts go threw to the crank case where they get soaked with oil. They need thread sealant, ask me how I know.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_171703.jpg
    IMG_20200923_171703.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200923_171622.jpg
    IMG_20200923_171622.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 62
I know, I saw this thread and went out to look at my car and it's leaking.

I found my fuel tank filler grommet is leaking too, and I have a split exhaust pipe just in front of the right side muffler that is approximately 12" long.

More projects...

I know, I saw this thread and went out to look at my car and it's leaking.

I found my fuel tank filler grommet is leaking too, and I have a split exhaust pipe just in front of the right side muffler that is approximately 12" long.

More projects...
Don't you know to stop looking? I just regret tearing mine apart (not really) the list out grew the budget.
Stop looking.