New SOTP readings

downsouthman1

Dec 16, 2003
Texas
In the past 5 days my car has been completely made over w/ the following mods listed in my sig. :D I have installed/had installed an 4.10 Gears, Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, C&L Intake Plenum, SPEC Stage 2 Clutch, & Steeda Tri-Ax. I almost died (literally) earlier, or should I say ramped a curb downshifting into 2nd @ an unknown speed (as I don't have my Speedcal yet). The front-end of the car veered to the right about 90 degrees @ the same time that the rear went left @ about the same angle. My wife was w/ me & she was scared to death & asked if I hit something. As soon as the clutch gripped it went straight. I had to steer it out though as it was all changed up. I have to learn how to drive all over again. It's crazy. Just thought I'd share my story. I'd appreciate any comments or feedback. Thanks for tuning in. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Well 1990 I'd like to say I appreciate all your assistance in installing the Plenum/TB. I'm off to bed. I finally got my Check Engine light to turn off & I'm tired. I have a very long story about the install that I'll post tomorrow some time.

c2see21 said:
hehe, i got turned the opposite way once after my 4.10 install, accidentally on purpose :jester: yeah, the wife didn't apprecite that too much :rlaugh:

Yeah my wife doesn't like to ride with me most of the time. The Mustang has a tendency to drift sideways alot down the street. As she says, "the butt passes the head". That's so fun!!!! :D

downsouthman1 said:
In the past 5 days my car has been completely made over w/ the following mods listed in my sig. :D I have installed/had installed an 4.10 Gears, Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, C&L Intake Plenum, SPEC Stage 2 Clutch, & Steeda Tri-Ax. I almost died (literally) earlier, or should I say ramped a curb downshifting into 2nd @ an unknown speed (as I don't have my Speedcal yet). The front-end of the car veered to the right about 90 degrees @ the same time that the rear went left @ about the same angle. My wife was w/ me & she was scared to death & asked if I hit something. As soon as the clutch gripped it went straight. I had to steer it out though as it was all changed up. I have to learn how to drive all over again. It's crazy. Just thought I'd share my story. I'd appreciate any comments or feedback. Thanks for tuning in. :hail2:

wonder what your new 1/4 times will be bro.. Hoping for the best..

I have a question about installing new gears and not having anything to correct the speedometer (speedcal, ECU reflash, chip). I always hear everyone said "you're putting on imaginary miles." What does that really mean. If you install 4.10 and drove 10,000 with it without speedcal, how many mile did you already have driven? If you put a speedcal in after 10,000 miles of driving.. will that fix/hurt anything? Could anyone clear that up for me please? Thanks

KaPPaBaLL said:
No, it's not going to hurt anything. With 4.10's on you'll be driving less miles than what the odometer actually reads. Hence the "imaginary miles." Anyway. No, you're not harming the car.
Correct. Your car's not harmed but everybody who looks @ your odometer will think that your really drove 10000 miles for example when you've only really drive about 7500. :mad: But if you're like me & won't sell your car, who cares about the odometer?

1990 here goes the story I promised. And to anybody who has yet to do the install please save yourself the time (instructions say can be done in 30 minutes) & read this post. 1st I was so excited I forgot to take before pictures. I got off work Monday @ 10PM, the same day UPS dropped the Plenum/TB combo. I got home, ate dinner, & started down the steps about 10:30 w/ as many toolboxes & things I could bring. I came back for the goodies & brought them down too. I busted out the instructions & don't have them on me now so the story will go by memory. I attempted to take out the 1st 2 bolts (EGR if I remember) according to step# 1 on the instructions. 1 was a deep-well bolt & the other was torqued way down. Since my car is a 2000 they probably had more time to settle. I didn't have any deep-well sockets so I was kind of screwed but attempted to use open-end wrenches. 10mm if I remember. I tried for a good hr, to no avail. I used WD40 before I started the process, by the way. I finally gave up & took my wife's (who was crashed out on the couch & couldn't believe I was out there in the dark w/ the temp about 29 degrees & a cold North wind @ about 8 mph) car to Wal-Mart to get a deep-well socket kit. The kit I bought had a 1/4 inch drive & a short-handled wratchet so I bought a long-handled one separately. I think I came back about 1PM. With the new tools it took no more than 2 minutes to unscrew those bolts. Then I undid the Throttle Cable assembly. That was a breeze. Then I had to disconnect vacuum hoses that were REALLY VACUUMED. I had to stick a narrow-tipped flat-head screwdriver, designed to use to tighten glasses screws. It took me about 30 minutes just to get the 3 vacuum hoses off. Then I undid the Main intake hose. After that I undid the 5 bolts holding the upper to the lower intake manifold. Then I undid some sensor connecting to the front of the upper intake. I can't remember in which order I did the last 2 steps. At last the stock Plenum/TB combo was off. I took off everything except the TPS sensor (cuz I forgot about it). ***Note for anybody reading this whose never installed this before...CHECK ALL YOUR GASKETS on your old combo to make sure you put them on the new Plenum/TB combo as it doesn't come w/ gaskets.*** I forgot a gasket; that's why I put that note in there. I connected the new combo together & added parts off the old to the new as it all fits in the same places. I did most of this inside; in the heat. I put the new combo really close by so I could compare the arrangements. Then I started plugging stuff to the new assembly. I started screwing it back in place, reconnecting everything in the order I disassembled it. I had a hard time getting the blue pipe connector piece that came from my Mac CAI to connect to the 75mm TB as it was designed to fit the stock TB. But w/ the small-head Flat-head screwdriver once again, I finally got it to fit. I finally got to a good stopping point. I was exhausted, cold, tired, & my nose was constantly dripping. So I went to sleep. I got up @ 7:45 & went outside to finish. At about 9AM I tested the Throttle Cable & realized that I had a clearance issue, came on here & you (1990) probably remember me ?ng that. Well, problem solved by taking my wife's car to O'Reilly's & buying a pouch of zip-ties (not needed) & 8 8M washers. I put 3 washers under the Throttle bracket for each of the 2 bolts. Then I had enought clearance. At about 11AM I thought I was done w/ everything & inspected & realized I never unscrewed my TPS sensor from my old combo & I left a gasket on the old combo. So I transferred the gasket to my new combo & worked on getting the TPS screws out. I soaked it w/ WD40 as I heard it was hard to remove those screws. I turned & turned but no movement. I did that for a while, trying both a Phillips screwdriver & wratchet w/ Phillips bit. I tried standing on it & putting my knee on it. No luck & all the while the screws are slowly stripping. Then I realized something so stupid. I was turning the wrong way. I was only making my job super-harder. So I doused it in WD40 & banged the screws' edges w/ a hammer & soaked again. Then I put my knee on it & used the wratchet. I turned as hard as I could & though I felt like dying both screws budged. So I breethed a sigh of relief & finished unscrewing. Put the sensor on the new TB using the new Hex screws. Highly recommended. All in order I was ready to go for a spin. I crank her up. The RPMs hit about 2000 & came down all the was to 0 & stalled. I looked dumb-founded & cranked her up again. This time she cranked up to about 2000 & dropped to 300-400. That had me worried as I thought I was gonna have to get a $75 Superchip retune. I ?d myself & wondered if so much air was coming in now that the system was overcompensating my making me run really lean. I mean, lean's good but not that lean. So I took her for a spin. Everytime I came to a stoplight & had to sit @ idle the car dropped to 200-300 RPMS & the Check Engine light came on early & stayed on. I posted a thread about that. Well I went to work that way. When I got home @ lunch yesterday I disconnected the battery cables for about 20 seconds after realizing that I left a sensor (not TPS, a plenum sensor) disconnected. I connected it & restarted. That didn't fix my problem & I had to go back to work. When I got home last night @ 10 again I disconnected only the negative terminal as instructed in a post I read here & checked all my bolts. Some were loose so I tightened. After 15 minutes I restarted the car. Check Engine light gone. Much happiness & relief. Highly recommended mod.

thanks for that story and i'm glad you got everything to work out well :) i think you have probably saved me at least 30 minutes when i do my install...and the best part is, you got to work on your own car, and you get to see the results yourself. :nice: :nice: :nice: