new stang member

dr501553

Jul 18, 2011
i just bought a 87 foxbody. drove it home . i could tell it wasnt 100% by anymeans, but drivable. first road cruise it was starting to pop, and fell more sluggish. had bro come up and check it out. after removing intake and redoing vacuum, still run bad. then pull some compression numbers and determined that previous owner burned out the valves with the nos set up. so found and bought 91 5.0 with 74 on it. my bro says just to go with carb set up, my fried moter has elderbrock performer and intake and 70mm. i would like to keep the set up to new engine. any thoughts or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I always like to keep carb cars carbed, and EFI cars EFI'd. However, if you have mods planned, carbed is cheaper (at the expense of a little mpg). You generally won't gain any hp on a stock 5.0 by going carb. Plus you have to get a fuel pressure regulator and change the distributor. So it isn't quite as simple as throwing a carb and intake on it.

And when it runs even more like crap with the carb on it, what's that idiot going to do now? Sorry, but anyone who's reponse to EFI issues is to put a carb on it clearly knows little to nothing about how an engine works.

Maybe you should take it to a real technician to have it looked at. Not Joe sixpack, but someone who actually makes a good living doing it. I know.... I know... everyone and their dad is a master technician. :rlaugh:

And when it runs even more like crap with the carb on it, what's that idiot going to do now? Sorry, but anyone who's reponse to EFI issues is to put a carb on it clearly knows little to nothing about how an engine works. :

I always say in that situation, "carbs are for quitters"

Def work through the efi issies...will be worth it