new stock motor and vortech pulley help

stanggt00

Jul 16, 2003
baltimore md
could not get the money together need to do the forged shortblock thing so i just get a brand new stock motor so i can get the car on the road this year and just get the shortblock next year
just want to get the car in the 400 range for rwhp and 11 sec range at the track and i will be happy

my question guys "is 12psi safe on a stock block and if so what pulley size do i need with my mods to get to 12psi??"

my mods are---------------

75mm tb
accufab plenum

full exuast with longtube headers

vortech supercharger with stock 3.60 pulley + powerpipe

i was seeing 8psi when i dynoed the car before the old motor died

i will also be running an intercooler on this car

thxs guys for any help

• Sponsors (?)

Well 12 psi is kind of pushing it. I ran 10 psi through an intercooler wich was a 3.25 pulley on my car and I was told by Tim @ MPH not to go any smaller than that on a stock engine. It might be difficult to get in the 11s on a stock block but I think you could definatley get mid to low 12s.

Since you already blew one engine you need to be easy on this one so you can get the forged shortblock bought. You dont want to blow this one up or youll never get be able to get the money saved up for the new one.

3.25" pulley makes ~ 10 psi @ 5,800rpm on stock motor.

Ditch that 3.60 now! it sucks!

3.25" pulley with a good tune will make 425, but I suggest tuning it to 400rwhp or less until you get an intercooler... Knock is a bioch

get 42# injectors

you might max out the stock MAF before 400rwhp. Every car is different.

i do have the mongoose kit with 90mm maf and 42# injectors and a safe tune from tim

so to be safe i should be ok with 400rwhp rigth on my motor even if i beat the car up a little

i dont run may car hard unless i am at the track but i want to know it will stand up with out a problem at the track

and i have the anderson power pipe not the steeda power pipe

so 10psi is what i need to limit it to rigth ?

and thats a 3.33 pulley or a 3.25

and yes i will be running an intercooler on this car i want as much safety as possible

I'd go with a 3.33" pulley and sell your steeda power pipe and go with a larger Anderson power pipe. That should get you close to your goal and be resonably safe.

That's essentially my old setup (MPH boost pipe, RR 3.33" pulley, full exhaust), I made 423hp/408tq with a safe tune.

so 10psi is what i need to limit it to rigth ?

and thats a 3.33 pulley or a 3.25

and yes i will be running an intercooler on this car i want as much safety as possible

10psi is about the limit for non-intercooled stock bottom end car. Cylinder temps just get too damn high with much more than that.

The difference in boost between a 3.33 and 3.25 is gonna be negligible - every car is different, so you might see 10psi in one car and 10.5-11psi in another.

Intercooler is a good idea.