New to foxbodys. 89 GT. some mods, looking for mod suggestions to build off current

83Zombie

Oct 17, 2011
missouri
hello, just got my first mustang and had to go w the foxbody, im new to this car and V8's, used to be a Evo guy. the car has a decent amount of mods, looking for some tips on how to move foward..N/A for now. heres what i have

trickflow heads
cold air intake
1.7 rockers
cam( but the kid didnt know what model)
bbk headers
Y-pipe
flowmaster to the back
msd ignition w blaster coil /wires etc..
king cobra clutch

intake is stock and ive been around guys enough to hear of the Gt-40/trick flow/ or running a Cobra intake. whats the benifits of each.

thnx

Attachments

• 310309_10150317971586831_618876830_8258865_838200182_n.jpg
    310309_10150317971586831_618876830_8258865_838200182_n.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice GT.. One of the things that I am doing is upgrading the Radiator mine blew out this weekend going with 3 core , 3G alternator with electric fan , I have the Trick flow intake setup on mine and the torque is much better than stock dont know much about the Cobra intake.

thanks i had already heard to look into the raidator+fan bid. what fan did you go with also my Rpms are sticking sometimes when i shift and not dropping and sometimes at idle when i rev. someone suggested to replace my IAC and throttle postion sensor

My next upgrades will be H/C/I then what ever supercharger my motor can handle without adding forged parts.

I was going to go with a cobra top end kit and then i read posts saying cobra is lacking in comparison to trickflow so now i am leaning towards TFS. I plan on researching this subject further before making my move and so should you.

Intake should be your next mod in my opinion. First determine your needs: are you racing at the track or just toolin around town in your daily driver. TF Streetburner intake will give you more low end torque and TF trackheat will give you more on the higher rpms. Gear ratio and cam play a role also in torque so learn which gears and cam you have inside before making your final decision. Then get whatever supercharger your motor can handle.:D

It sounds like u need a new throttle body. I had the same problems with my 88 gt when i first bought it. RPMs not dropping between shifts. Also i was not getting enough power when i floored it. I could not even break loose in first from a rolling start. I tried cleaning up the throttle body a couple times and it didnt do anything. So I bought a new one and now im sidewayz again. Plus my rpms drop perfectly now. But i know the rpm thing is going to be the tb butterfly valve is not closing all the way. Good luck.

my gears are 3:73.

i have another daily driver so my plans w this car is to track it.but keep it enjoyable to drive around when all the friends cars go joyride i figured intake would be my needed upgrade the most, i gota get the idle surge under control, going through the checklist this weekend.

any easy way to find out what cam i have, theres def one in there , but the kid bought it from, he bought it modded as well, so guess i might have to just wait til i put the intake on idk

my gears are 3:73.

i have another daily driver so my plans w this car is to track it.but keep it enjoyable to drive around when all the friends cars go joyride i figured intake would be my needed upgrade the most, i gota get the idle surge under control, going through the checklist this weekend.

any easy way to find out what cam i have, theres def one in there , but the kid bought it from, he bought it modded as well, so guess i might have to just wait til i put the intake on idk

When you say you want to "track it", you mean drag racing? If so, you've got a good start. It needs an intake manifold, and I'd recommend trick flow. As for the hanging revs, you can remove the iac motor and clean out the valve with carb cleaner. If it's clogged, that will help.

When you get serious about drag racing, you'll need some sticky tires (like Mickey Thompson ET Streets) and good suspension! There are plenty of us in the vendor's forum that offer good deals on drag suspension. Just swing by when you get a moment. :flag:

ya 1/4 mile.we have a couple local drag strips. id love some recomendations on suspension

At UPR Products (where I work), we have it simplified down to two kits. The Pro Series front & Pro Series rear kits. All you need with those kits are caster camber plates (which we make) and the struts and shocks. We recommend Strange 10-way adjustable struts & shocks. That setup has been proven to work well on everything from 12-second stockers all the way down to 7-second racecars.

To avoid spamming the board (I don't want to make your thread turn into a UPR commercial) you can send me a Private Message here on Stangnet and I'd be happy to answer any of your specific questions. Actually, if you want, I'll PM you my phone number and I can explain everything easier than I could type it out.