new to the mustang world i need help

goliath669

Nov 27, 2006
i am in the process of restoring a 64 1/2 mustang it has the original 170 straight 6 w/the 3 speed manual tranny. my stang has no interior and i need to know how the headliner finishes off ie. pillar trim? stuff like that so is there anyone that can help me thank you

• Sponsors (?)

goliath669 said:
i am in the process of restoring a 64 1/2 mustang it has the original 170 straight 6 w/the 3 speed manual tranny. my stang has no interior and i need to know how the headliner finishes off ie. pillar trim? stuff like that so is there anyone that can help me thank you

The headliner is held in the air by 3-4 bows that stretch from side to side. You will see several holes on the side of your roof, probably in clusters of 3. Only one bow is used per cluster.

Headliner goes under the front and rear window gaskets. It is glued there and held in place by the gaskets. The best way is to remove the window and replace the gaskets, although it is possible to jam it up under if desired.

At the front pillars, the headliner is glued to the upper part of the pillar and small [1/4"] or so metal bands hide the seam at the top of the pillar-you can probably see the hole where the retaining screw was on both pillars. The rest of the pillar is exposed and painted the color of the dash.

The sides of the headliner are held on by glue and the windlace. The rear sail panels (between the 1/4 window and the rear window) are held fast by little metal teeth that should still be in place.